1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Patterning Material

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I want to pattern my new gun. Making a wood frame is no problem but where do you get four foot paper? Tape smaller pieces together or what?

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

If you plan to use shotgun-insight to analyze your pattern, you will need white and now that Decorol apparently doesn't make 48-inch wide, Spectra Art Kraft is about all I can find.

If you just want to count pellet holes, a roll of 48-inch Kraft paper, brown, works fine.

Neil

3. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

I've used the newspaper.

Mike

4. steve coker

steve coker Member

Excellent choice on the red flooring paper, I am using that myself along with a 3ft dia. piece of thin plexiglass with a small hole in the center. The plexiglass allows you to place it on the paper and see the pattern and center it with the hole. This will give you a pretty accurate estimate where you gun is shooting. I use it @ 40 yrds.

Steve Coker

5. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

I believe their's contractor paper 48" wide I know at Lowes and other building supplies. I'm working on my pat and target stands this week.
    RR

6. Beni

Beni Member

I go to the dollar store and buy rolls of cheap xmas wrapping paper the opposite side is white adjust your size as you see fit

7. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Those of us who live in the country use feed sacks split in half, lay it over a barb wire fence and shoot!

Best patterning board I have found!

Mr. Mark

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Large pieces of cardboard such as found on the bottom of a clay pigeon pallett work very well and you can use each piece twice. You shoot it, then look at the pattern on the back side. Every place a pellet comes through shows a nice little PUFF of material that is easily seen, and if you care to mark them with a Sharpie or something they REALLY show up. Then you can turn it over and use it again and because the PUFFS are so much bigger and three dimensional than where a pellet entered, they stand out and you can see them well. With cardboard it stands up on it's own.

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Uline sells paper rolls that are suitable for patterning. Here are some URLs for white rolls.

this one is for newsprint. pellets leave fuzzy edges.

http://www.uline.com/BL_1954/Newsprint-Rolls?keywords=roll%2520paper

This is for butcher paper. Good stuff. Be advised the shipping on the 60" rolls will cost you a huge bundle. 48" and smaller are okay.

http://www.uline.com/BL_1956/Butcher-Paper?keywords=roll%2520paper

If you can use 40" material, this stuff from Precision Reloading is the cat's meow. Pellets punch a clean, sharp edged hole through this. Shotgun Insight has zero problems reading this stuff.

http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PRE&Product_Code=UPSP300&Category_Code=

If you want something cheaper, go to your nearest Party Land store (or other similar store) and buy a roll or 40" plastic tablecloth runner. It's twice as thick as the Precision Reloading stuff, but it works. Get white (preferably)or the real light tan if you're going to use Shotgun Insight.

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Office supply store should be able to order 48" Kraft paper for you. Cheapest source of feasible sized paper I've found.

11. 458 WM

458 WM TS Member

Our gun club saves the cardboard on the bottom of the target pallets and we built a patterning board that quickly and easily holds the target. As the eariler post states, the BB holes show up great on the back side. The 30" plexi glass circle is helpful, but mine soon cracked and broke from handeling.. I then took two cardboards and cut out a 30" circle with a 20" inner circle to evaluate the center core. I then put the two cardboards together and taped them completely with clear packing tape.... this works great and is flexible and won't break.

12. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

At 13 yards you can use the bottom of a target box with a dot drawn on it. It will at show you your poi: left, right, up, down, but not your pattern at normal striking distance, of course. It's quick, it's easy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.