1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Patterning INDOORS.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

No more slogging through the mud or messing with paper in the wind. I won't have to haul a wagon load of gear from the parking lot to the patterning board - which is usually (always?) placed in a most inconvenient place.

In response to my written question, a local indoor range operator responded with, "You may come in and pattern your shotgun at your convenience .

Okay, 25 yards isn't perfect for trap, but it meets my skeet needs. Also, my main concern is POI and 13 yards is fine for than.I will be delighted to know where my guns and barrels and chokes are actually shooting.

I may be the last to know that I can shoot my shotguns indoors, but I'm still pleased to know it --- now.

Larry Frieders

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I thought that would be a great idea. Now the wife is demanding I replace the TV or sleep in the garage.

3. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I just recently patterned my gun at the indoor pistol/rifle range. Dr Andrew Jones has 25 yd data published in his book and there are a couple 25 yd patterns at the top of the "Turkey Choke" thread for your reference.

It was quite pleasant to just buzz your target in and out, take a picture of it on the ground and move on to the next one. Do yourself a favor and cut your targets out ahead of time. It will save some time at the range. Also make sure you number your papers so you know what pattern corresponds to what shot.

The ONLY downside was when the clown next to me couldn't keep his bullets on his own target...even with laser sights...sheesh! So one of my patterns has a .45 hole on it.

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Good to go just replace the drywall when you are done.

Don

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Wish I could find an indoor range locally that would allow me to do this. 25yd would be ideal for me. There are a number of indoor ranges in my area, but they are all 50ft, which is too short. There is a 50yd range about an hour away, but they won't allow you to shoot birdshot. My buddy has a 100yd range about an hour north of NYC that I could use all day long for nothing, but it would be a 4.5hr drive.

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

skeet_man,

GCL has a 25yd indoor range, I'm guessing they won't allow shotguns in there though. :(

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I think I might have emailed them once to ask, and if I did, the answer was no.

I also don't believe they allow non-member use, and it probably wouldn't be worth the membership cost just to pattern shotguns ($328 first year if I calculated right).

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I could shoot indoors from my leather chair in the living room, all I have to do is open the sliding glass kitchen door open, and move my real estate sign holder to the left 8-10 feet, put the cardboard on the sign holder, and I could do it at night if I put the spot light on the pattern board, Voila I am out of the rain, snow and sun, put the gun Bbl on an empty shot bag filled w/rags, resting it on the 48" high room divider between kitchen and living room.

I have no wife or kids to bother.

And the shooting enviroment could be 72 degrees year round if I didn't leave the door open too long.

And I would have a 13-40 yard range. There is an opening for the stairs off the deck directly from the living room w/no interference.

Do you think the pictures and trophies would stay on the wall?

I knew there were other possibilities when I built and designed this home.

GB
    DLS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.