1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

patterning- gun rest?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

should i be using a rifle type rest for shotgun patterning? I'm getting wildly different POIs one right after the other w/ factory ammunition. I'm using a folded up coat over the hood of a car for a rest. I don't think i'm pulling shots, but theres no other explaination i can think of for the shots to be moving around as much as i'm seeing.

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

That might help.

John C. Saubak

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I use a rest. Try those clip on front and rear turkey sights if you need more accuracy.

4. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

I'll just tell you what one of the better pigeon shooters I ever met told me.

I purchased an MX-8 just for flyers and wasn't sure what brand of shell to use.

BAG IT! He told me to try every brand of pigeon load I could get my hands on and BAG the shotgun just like your rifle. Might take a little work at the club since a lot of them don't want you shooting shotguns on the rifle range but with a good solid portable bench and seat, and your sand bags, you could use the trap field on a slow day. Take the clubs patterning board out to whatever distance you want and set up the bench and bags.

AJ100

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

You do need some sort of rest, but I believe a set up like rifle shooters use might be over kill. Remember, POI should be determined at no greater distance than 13 yards. I would shoot at least 5 different targets, 10 is better.

If you look at the same pattern shot at 35 yards five different days you will most likely see a different point of impact each day.

Determination of POI is a different process than pattern analysis.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.