1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Patterning distance?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

I know this has been asked a thousand times, but what is the distance I should be doing pattern testing? I only shoot from the 16 (so far) and am going to the range today with a 100 yd. tape and lots of big cardboard.

What is the best distance?

Thanks!

Bruce

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Bruce, for "singles" patterning I use 34 yards just because I started with that 20 years ago and want to be able to compare old data with new, though I never do.

Some like to be a little closer, say 32 yards.

Good luck. You are in for an interesting day.

Neil

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I use both 13 yards & 40 yards. The first one gives me a clear comparative measure of how high the gun shoots compared to other guns I've patterned, and the second one gives me a slighly less clear measure of same plus it shows spread/concentration of pellets at a more realistic shooting distance for clays. I use a barrel rest for the short one. Make sure you aim carefully at center marks and take many shots so you know you have accurate data.

-Gary

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I pattern at 30 and 40 yards. I like 30 yards better. At 40 yards, I see too many holes in the pattern and that tends to make me lose confidence with my handicap loads.

Pat Ireland

5. capvan

capvan Active Member

OK, I've got my pieces of large cardboard with a central 1 inch black spot surrounded by LOTS of little, tiny holes.

Now what do I do?

And yes, there are holes, but random locations. So what does that show? Other than holes exist...

Thanks again.

Bruce
    KB1IIX

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bruce- Estimate the center of the pattern, then draw 20 inch and a 30 inch circle around the center and divide each circle into quadrants. Count the holes in each quadrant of each circle. Calculate the percentage, based on the total number of shot in the shell, in each quadrant. Do this for several patterns. Then with all that data, you will find that you have not learned very much but you have spent a lot of time. Do the same thing for several different loads and you will discover you have spent a lot more time and gained little. It is difficult to compare random distributions, but I keep trying.

Pat Ireland

7. capvan

capvan Active Member

Pat - Thanks. I was afraid things were going to go something like this. But I know how to count...

Bruce

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Try different loads to see if you might minimize those "open" holes you saw? If you have those kind of open spaces at 30-34 yards, it may be time for a new trapgun too! Counting pellet holes is a total waste of time!

Hap

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Not as much a waste of time as counting "holes in patterns," Hap.

Neil

10. WoodQuilt

WoodQuilt TS Member

Very timely post. I am about to install a "patterning board" at my club and bought the paint and "stuff" to make the shoot post sign. What is the general wisdom for a club that offers both skeet and trap shooting. Should I have one shooting station (a sign) at 15 yards and another at 40 yards? Currently, the shot target is located about 3 feet above the ground. Should I raise it or leave it near the ground?

Counting shot etc. is for the shooter to decide, I'm just looking for facility construction and location information.

Jim Schmidt
    Peterborough Sportsmen's Club, New Hamsphire

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Counting the holes in a pattern is something I have not done but it sounds like the kind of thing I might do. I could mark each hole and then measure the distance to the next closest hole. This could give me the mean distance (+- 1 SE) between holes. A fun way to spend an afternoon. That would clearly prove that shot distribution is random. Or I could just work the afternoon it would take me to do that for 10 patterns, buy a few flats of good shells with the money I make and see if I can break some targets with the shells I bought.

Pat Ireland

12. dshot

dshot Member

Jim,I would raise the broad, so the the muzzel of the gun would be level to the ground for the average shooter and let the shooter, shoot whatever yardage he or she would like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.