1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Patterning Distance????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by welderman, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. welderman

welderman TS Member

I tacked this question onto a previous thread, but there were no replies. For photographing shot patterns, I need to select a distance. Some have said you should pattern from the distance you break targets at. It seems to me this is an individual thing because everone breaks targets from their preferred distance. I'm trying to document gun/load performance and need to select appropriate distance for that effort. I'm tempted to pick 32 yards, but willing to go longer if there is a good reason. I don't want to do it at various distances because the test matrix gets too large. Thanks in advance. Tom S. (welderman)

2. Straight99

Straight99 Member

If this is for trap patterns you could do as Don Zutz did and pattern at 32 for the 16 yd. and 40 for handicap. Otherwise it is so specific for the individual yardage. On the other hand I have seen 16 yard shooters hit their targets at 40 yards. Pick 32. Glenn

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Tom, why don't we set up and break some targets, you can watch where the targets are broken from the side (from the right side Beomat field at Westford, then you could measure.....-Frank C.

4. welderman

welderman TS Member

Frank, My objective is to photograph the shot string as close to the muzzle as I can (for photographic purposes)and still have the data be useful to as many folks as possible. So, where you or I might break the bird is not the issue. The question is, what is the minimum distance from muzzle to target that will provide useful pattern data? Tom S. (welderman)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.