1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Patterning Board

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by idoc, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idoc

idoc Member

I have been put in charge of getting whatever the proper material is for a metal patterning board. What do you use to paint it with when checking patterns. Please Help? Rich

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Rich, You can use whitewash or for cold weather areas we use grease thinned out, applied with either a roller or brush. A note of caution, we have a 1/4" thick steel plate. If I remember right a few years ago I tried doing POI work on it. First shot sent lead right back at me. Fortunately I had glasses on. We also have a wooden frame to tack paper to for pattern work. Good luck, Bob

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

idoc, it depends on what you want to use the board for. If you are looking for a grease board, solid steel plating works well. By preference is for thinned white lithium grease. I like a roller to even it out, but applying with a brush and pail makes logistics easier. You can always roller it out after application anyway.

If the board is to be used for POI testing or real patterning, a metal frame with heavy metal mesh behind is better. The mesh lets the pellets pass through the paper or plastic you are using to record the results instead of bouncing back and ruining the pattern. This is especially true for ranges closer than 40 yards with a full choke.

4. idoc

idoc Member

Sounds like it's thinned white lithium grease and angle the metal sheet toward the ground. I assume I get lithium grease at a car store. What do I thin it with. Thanks in advance................Rich

5. wizard!

wizard! TS Member

GREASE BOARD SPECS
    BOARD IS 36” X 36” 1/8” THICK WEIGHT 99 LBS

GREASE COATING FORMULA
    5 TUBS WHITE LITHUM GREASE
    APPROX ½ QUART SYNTHETIC OIL
    ½ + QUART OF WHITE PAINT PIGMENT(available at ace hardware paint)

stir all of this up in container smear on board with rubber gloves and roll out with paint roller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.