1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Patterning and POI testing

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tugboat, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

What are the best distances to determine point of impact and patterns? I have heard 13 to 16 yds. for poi and 30 to 35 yds. for patterning.. We just got a new steel grease plate....Thanks

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Tug, there's no way I'd use a steel plate for close POI testing. With a paper or cardboard, I use both the 13 and 16 yards for POI. Loads, I test from 30 to 45 yards depending on shot size. Hap

3. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Set the thing up so that a person can pattern @ 40 yds. Allow another 5-10 yds behind the 40 yd line so those who want to pattern a duck gun can do so. Skeet/open chokes can move up at any time. I carry a small cheap folding table to set my stuff on. I like to do POI @ 40yds simply because that is where I pattern from,thus getting two jobs done on one sheet of paper. 40 yards is also the industry standard to measure & determine choke constrictions. Tom Lobonc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.