Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patterning a shotgun question

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Pat Ireland 
#1 ·
I am thinking of patterning my shotgun for something to do tomorrow. I would like to take something from the experience and I thinking to incorporate a variety of things in to the session.

First question I have is, will it make a significant difference on the results if my patterning target is at ground level, suspended off the ground or several feet in the air? I would like to have my patterning target at the same elevation as my barrel, which will be fired from shoulder level I do believe. I have an idea that using a level, a plumb bob and several 2"x4"x8' I could keep the shotgun level and in the same spot every shot but is that a good thing? Could an argument be made that firing off hand in a natural scenario like in trapshooting would give me some better data?

Next question, I am considering distance to my patterning target. All that I shoot now is 16 yard singles and 27 yard handicap. If I am patterning this shotgun for optimum pattern from the 27 yard line would I place my patterning target at that distance or add several yards to simulate distance to where a handicap target would be broken on average?

I shoot a small variety of ammuntion regularly, Win. AA super Handicap, Rem. Nitro 27, Rem STS and my favorite reload. Should I be prepared to pattern each individualy and compare? Or would I want to pick the one I use the most and test it?

Thank you for your input, I am looking forward to conducting this expirement soon.

J.F.

See less See more
#4 ·
Jack- First, decide on the question you are trying to answer. Are you trying to find out how your gun shoots a specific load, are you comparing different choke tubes or are you comparing different loads.

I like to pattern at 30 yards. Others like 35 yards or even 40 yards. All patterning should be from a solid rest. You are looking at how your gun shoots, not how you shoot the gun.

Don't get patterning a gun mixed up with where the gun shoots (point of impact). The POI should be tested from a solid rest at a target 13 yards away.

It will take about 10 patterns for you to be able to compare two variables. Pattern work can take a lot of time and yield very little useful information. It is difficult to form sound conclusions from random distributions of shot on a sheet of paper.

Pat Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.