1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Patterning a shotgun question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jack Frost, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

I am thinking of patterning my shotgun for something to do tomorrow. I would like to take something from the experience and I thinking to incorporate a variety of things in to the session.

First question I have is, will it make a significant difference on the results if my patterning target is at ground level, suspended off the ground or several feet in the air? I would like to have my patterning target at the same elevation as my barrel, which will be fired from shoulder level I do believe. I have an idea that using a level, a plumb bob and several 2"x4"x8' I could keep the shotgun level and in the same spot every shot but is that a good thing? Could an argument be made that firing off hand in a natural scenario like in trapshooting would give me some better data?

Next question, I am considering distance to my patterning target. All that I shoot now is 16 yard singles and 27 yard handicap. If I am patterning this shotgun for optimum pattern from the 27 yard line would I place my patterning target at that distance or add several yards to simulate distance to where a handicap target would be broken on average?

I shoot a small variety of ammuntion regularly, Win. AA super Handicap, Rem. Nitro 27, Rem STS and my favorite reload. Should I be prepared to pattern each individualy and compare? Or would I want to pick the one I use the most and test it?

Thank you for your input, I am looking forward to conducting this expirement soon.

J.F.

2. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Are you from Maine Jack? Dave T.

3. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

Dave- Originaly from Northern Minnesota, currently live near Portland, OR. Moved out here in 1991. Never been to Maine. Will that affect my patterning? HOHOHO. All the best.

J.F.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jack- First, decide on the question you are trying to answer. Are you trying to find out how your gun shoots a specific load, are you comparing different choke tubes or are you comparing different loads.

I like to pattern at 30 yards. Others like 35 yards or even 40 yards. All patterning should be from a solid rest. You are looking at how your gun shoots, not how you shoot the gun.

Don't get patterning a gun mixed up with where the gun shoots (point of impact). The POI should be tested from a solid rest at a target 13 yards away.

It will take about 10 patterns for you to be able to compare two variables. Pattern work can take a lot of time and yield very little useful information. It is difficult to form sound conclusions from random distributions of shot on a sheet of paper.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shotgun patterning on level ground