1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pattern

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by WarEagle2017, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Ok Guys Here is the challange: Most all you guys out there will swear that High dollar shotguns Pattern better that the average trap guns, lets say Guns Like Perazzi Seitz Kolar Bowen K- Guns etc even with aftermarket choke work, VERSES Guns Like Remington, Browning Beretta etc. So I say the Proof is in the Pudding, lets give it a test, Pattern your gun at 40 yards with your favorite Choke and post your results Here with the results, if you can please state your guns bore dimension and the constriction that was used, count the number of pellets ( using 7 1/2 shot ) in a 30" circle at 40 Yards, and if you can post a pic of the patterning target ( so that we can see how many holes in the pattern are big enough to trow a Cat through. Please use 1 1/8 oz. shot

Feel free to add to the above, whatever you may think off in terms of getting some good results................

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I know my Comp will break a target as hard as any gun I've ever owned (well except for maybe an 90T HPAR that I used to own). It also had to be modified to make it work for me. Add-on rib, a different stock, and a Timney trigger.

I also know that part of the High end gun equasion is balance and looks. Yes they have a tendency to pattern well, but that's not everything. The trigger, balance, and the gun as whole has to work. leave one part of this out and all you have is pile of parts.

ec90t

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

drhuner, to make the counting # 7-1/2s in a 30 inch circle much easier for your contest, shoot the pattern at a measured 45 yards. Very telling! Hap

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

drhuner, In all my trapshooting years, and that is plus 30 and counting, I've never ever heard one man said that their high dollar gun patterned better than an off the shelf model.

Are you trolling?

Hauxfan!

5. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I'm with you Haux. Sounds like another not too well veiled attempt to prove high-end guns are a waste of money.

Buz

6. WarEagle2017

Not at all guys, please dont make me out to be downing High end guns!!!! this is not at all what this is about, in the past year I have owned some of the most wanted guns out there including SEITZ, Kolar, Perazzi, KX5, 90T, and everyone of them are for sure Quality Guns, but unlike Hauxfan I have heard quite a few people say that they pattern better that Production guns, Now I do agree that you may get more inconsistant Borings in the production guns ( the actual size of the dia. of the bore in the same exact model of a Production gun ) If you dont think that they dont pattern any differant SO BE it, dont waste your time on this issue, I am only looking for those that think that they do, Because I dont think that they do. I am looking to learn something here, and I would understand if someone told me ( after seeing his pattern sheet ) that he shot it with a certin type of Bore dia. gun with long tapered choke and he showed me a pattern that would not allow a target to pass tru it at 40 yards, if I could find that gun i would buy it tomorrow, I feel that the shot string is the main destroyer of targets, because when you are shooting at an angeling target it has to pass tru your shot string which can vary in length
    blowing away the chance of the old saying about trowing a Cat tru the pattern, Now it seems to me that the targets that seem to miss mostly are straight aways where you dont get the advantage of the length of the shot string.
    Now as far a Quality You get what you pay for and all of you including ME love my high dollar guns and we all feel great about owning them, the way they are balanced, the way they swing the way they look etc etc. BUT BUT BUTT

7. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

drhunter:

Here is my input from the low end of gun values.

Remington Spartan SPR310s ($550.00 new). Bore .729", Trulock Extra Full Choke .690", 40 measured yards, 1 l/8 oz 7 1/2 shot. Number of hit in a 30" circle 328 for an 83% pattern. The effective pattern was a 24" circle, between the 24" and 30" circles the pattern is thin for reliable hits.

8. shoottilithurts

shoottilithurts Member

ditto on never hearing one shooter telling me the high dolar gun patterned better than an entry level gun..i recently patterned my browning citori plus with a briley extended ported full choke, and perrazi mx 10 fixed full, (barrell worked by wilkenson), at a measured 40 yd, 30 deg temp, rem 7.5 lt hdcp, 3 shots each, pattern distribution and density almost identical, the citori plus was just slightly tighter...not that we r talking triggers, but the p-gun trigger is much better...milt luther... from giants land

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The pattern flies through the bird, not the other way around, dh. It's going 20 times as fast, after all.

Eddie, that's a fine shooting gun!

Neil

10. Hap MecTweaks

Neil, I sent you an email asking if you'd like some good cardboard for your patterning here in Tucson next week? Hap

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I just got it Hap. I've got my pattern setup with me on the back of my motorhome and paper and all, so I say thanks but I'm all set. I hope to meet you at TSS; open all the campers and the one with the big German Shepherd is mine . . .

Neil

12. Hap MecTweaks

I'll see you there Neil, what day do you plan on pulling in? I heard her loud bark when I tried finding you in Vandalia a good while back to pay ya yer nickel I owe ya! Be careful driving out. Hap

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

<a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/jrm7800/?action=view&current=100_0268.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> This is the only pic of a pattern I have at the moment. 12g browning XT with Briley Spectrum IM. Useing a chambermate(20g) reducer. This is at 30yards with Remington sureshot 1oz 7.5s. The green dot in center is actual aim point of bead. Where this pattern hits is where I am looking. I like the target above the barrel.

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

mac, I'll suggest you are not getting accurate PE results with your method. From the looks of that pattern you have a nice shooting 75/25 gun. If you put your aiming dot 7.5" below the horizontal center of the paper, your pattern will be centered and you could expect (hope) to have equal numbers of pellets in each quadrant.

If you continue to pattern like that, you will be under representing how tightly your choke shoots.

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

ZZT I did this round of test for 2 reasons,1. curious how well the 20g pattern out of the 12g barrel 2. I did the aim point to try to give a fellow shooter visual on how different guns shoot, per bead alignment. He use my gun quit often. He also misses quit often. I believe he his shooting over the targets? Normally I have been useing 13yards and then 35yards doing as you stated aiming more to 6 Oclock.

16. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Count on it Eddie.

17. WarEagle2017

Eddie Very Nice Pattern now this is what I was hopeing to see, Ii am going to try your load and see if I can get a pattern like that it looks great.

18. WarEagle2017

Eddie where is overlook ( Penna ???? )

19. WarEagle2017

Now we are getting some good info Thanks to all, and eddie overlook is also the name of a little Borough in PA. near Elysburg. Just wanted to see if you were from there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

90t shooting pattern