1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pattern

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by MIEHL, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MIEHL

MIEHL TS Member

We have a steel patterning board that is painted with white grease.
    In the winter the grease gets to stiff to spread.
    Is their a formula for some substance that would be more spreadable?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

A bit of paint thinner added to the grease will thin it and make it easier to paint. I would like to understand how you can get any useful data from this type of pattern board?

Pat Ireland

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

I was kind of wondering the same thing Mr Ireland.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

yukonjack222 -How do you count them? I cannot tell anything about a pattern unless I shoot 10 shells of the load I am testing. How can this be done with a steel pattern board that is painted between each shot. I really would like to know. Also, many of these I have seen have a hole cut in the center. How do you count the shot that went through the hole? My club has two of these steel plates with center holes. The things are mounted on very heavy posts. Each must weigh nearly 300 pounds. I have never seen them used.

Pat Ireland

5. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

A digital camera (4-5 Megapixel) makes grease patterning boards quick and easy. At full resolution, you can count later at your computer. I've never seen one with a hole in the middle; I just use a stick to smear a small aim dot.

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Pat....Our club also has one of those steel plate patterning boards. They are absolutely worthless. They provide no useful information at all. When the shot hits the plate, it flattens out and ricochcets into the other shot hitting the plate and makes a big mess of grease that looks like raindrops hit it. There is no effective way to pinpoint the center of the pattern, count the number of hits, or anything else.... Just my experience....Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

the only thing a pattern boarrd is good for is to show where the gun shoots in relation to it's rib and or beads.it also can show the diameter of the pattern.all of that other stuff about beautiful or even pattern is just something to talk about.the most expensive trap gun will not pattern any better than the cheapest mossberg as they both are just tubes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.