1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pattern your hunting gun?? 20 vs 12?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by dklees, Dec 11, 2016.

1. dklees

dklees Active Member

Added a old Miroku 20 ga. 28" in mod/full to hunt with. With 7/8 oz & 1 0z 7 1/2 at 40 yds I was amazed to see how spread out the mod. barrel was & only a slightly improvement with the full barrel at 40yds. Shot spread over 47" across entire pattern board at 40 yds with a very thin central pattern (about 60-70 hits in a 24" center).

Moving up just 5 yards made a huge difference in the pattern with both mod & full.
    Both made a very usable pattern @ 35 yds. I didn't expect such a large difference with just 5 yards. I wish I had brought my 12ga. to compare.

Also, just to see, I moved up to 20yds. Pattern was extremely tight either mod or full. At 20yds, barely had anything outside a 15" or so. Would have destroyed a dove or quail at that range.

Question: Does anyone pattern their hunting guns? Would it make any difference with 1 oz. in a 12 vs 1 oz. in a 20 at the same yardage? I couldn't believe how limited or lucky I've been with shots over 40 yards in past hunts.

2. DandyRandy

DandyRandy Well-Known Member

I pattern all my shotguns. A few years ago I bought a used 12g Remington 11-87 field that looked like new. That weekend there was a game fair nearby so took it with me as they have different shotgun venues to shoot there. Shot a 25 target sporting clays course. Couldn't hit anything with it. A few days later took it to the club and shot it on paper. At 35 yards it shot 12 inches over the aim point. I mean the bottom of the pattern was 12 inches over the aim point. The gun was quickly nothing but a bad memory.

dklees thanked this.
  3. Yoda117

Yoda117 Active Member

Pattern all your shotguns. Doesn't matter what they're used for.

Call me crazy, but I like to know where the shot is going, regardless of the gun or purpose.

4. dklees

dklees Active Member

I was wondering if anyone has seen a difference between 1 0z in a 20 vs 1 oz in a 12?

I'm seeing a tighter full and mod in my 12 vs 20. Both fixed o/u. One browning and one Miroku. Especially when I step back to 40 yds.

5. Clark19

Clark19 Member

I agree. Always pattern your gun. Anything you shoot.

6. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

See my thread on the Versa Max. Unacceptable for a hunting gun.

7. dklees

dklees Active Member

I'm just convinced that a 12 ga. throws a better pattern after 35 yards. I love my 20ga. auto and o/u especially early in the season. But once it comes to 40 yds or more, I'm switching to 12 ga. Seeing the patterns at 35 to 40 convinced me of that.

8. RMc

RMc TS Member

The primary purpose of patterning hunting loads is to establish the minimum pattern/maximum range of the gun/choke/shotshell combination. This holds true for "dove loads" all the way to buckshot rounds. Especially buckshot!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Did you check your constrictions/chokes? Are they true to their markings? Were you using quality shells?

I've had some guns that just didn't shoot good patterns with certain loads too. There are some pretty crappy economy loads out there.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    dklees thanked this.
  10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

chokeconstrictions.gif

dklees thanked this.
  11. dklees

dklees Active Member

I guess my question was worded poorly. I was trying to find out if a 1 oz. load in a 20 ga. would be any different that a 1oz in a 12 ga. Maybe it's already been proven and someone has charts and graphs that proves 12 is superior or maybe not...

I thought they would be very similar if using same chokes at same yardage. But it appears the 20 ga. starts to spread out faster than a 12 ga w same 10z... at least that's what happened when I patterned mine. Limited more than my 12 so I'm sticking w the 12ga. even though it's heavier to haul around. Bird in the hand sort of thing...

12. jkeller

jkeller Active Member

Never patterned my hunting guns. None are choked tighter than IC. But at the typical grouse range of 25 yards and under, pattern wont be a problem, other than putting the pattern onto the flying bird.

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot both guns and see what the birds have to say. HMB

dklees thanked this.
  14. dklees

dklees Active Member

Ain't that the truth! I just tried that. Long shots (35-40+) sometimes are the only one given so 12ga. it is. fall 2016 dec 24 2016 441.JPG

15. DuckNut

DuckNut Well-Known Member

Patern the guns and use different ammo and you will get different patterns.

16. shotgun52

shotgun52 Active Member

I have 2 Remington 870 28ga. barrels 1 with fixed imp. cyl. and 1 with screw in chokes and the 1 with fixed imp, cyl. patterns tighter than my rem choked mod. does.

17. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Shot a 20 today jump shooting ducks. 1 1/4 oz heavy shot 4's. LM choke. 9 shots. Don't scrimp on the payload if using sub gauge for hunting.

Attached Files:

18. 3200-man-2

3200-man-2 Member

I don't , with a 7/8 oz load of HW 13 5's in my 28 ga it's lights out past 35 yds , if I do my part !