1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pattern vs Velocity

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by michshooter, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

We have alll heard that increasing the velocity "opens up" the pattern and decreasing the velocity "tightens" the patttern.

Does anyone have any data as to the effect of velocity on pattern using the nominal 1100 to 1250 velocities we mostly shoot? To get good data, I believe I would have to shoot a minimum of 10 shots at each velocity with each choke constriction and compare each set of patterns for uniformity and pattern count. Way too much work if it has been done before.

Thanks,

....Paul

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Not much difference in that range. If you go subsonic, around 1080, you will see a measurable difference. HMB

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Sarge basically has it down pat.. HARD shot.. first.. to prevent pellet deformation.. and a wad built to take the speed.. if you're going beyond 1250 fps.. What you are trying to prevent is pellets becoming damaged and leaving the pattern.. I've crushed 65 yard bunker targets with #8's at 1350 fps. The European market is working hard on making small amounts of lead perform at long yardage.. It seems for now.. the 1 1/4oz wad with a good hard felt cushion as a filler with 6% plus antinomy is doing really well.. I shot some 24 gram at 1390 and was VERY impressed.. I have loaded some Longshot at 1450 with regular wads and 1 1/8oz payloads.. and was not impressed at all. SO..where does that leave me??? Same shot..the wad column was the only real change along with the amount of shot.. 24 gram (7/8oz).. verses 1 1/8oz.. In the under 50 yard targets.. very little of this matters.. 16 yard.. doubles..I would not concerned.. but 27 yard line.. parking lot.. 2nd shot in bunker.. long crossers in Sporting Clays.. You might consider doing some pattern work..with a pile of shells and choketubes.. As always.. I invite all replies.. All Good.. Mike

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Neil Winston had some interesting details on some pattern testing he did some time ago. I'm sure if you do a search on the site, you could find some of it. It's a lot of work, so if there is something already done, it would possibly answer your questions. At least give you an idea of what someone else has found.

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

In at least three test now, maybe more, my results have ranged from none at all except for the very slowest in the 1050 range to some spreading as the shot was pushed faster. Nothing you could use to spread shot out intentionally to mitigate a too-tight choke, but rather just something you could measure.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.