1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pattern Test 870 Comp ~13 yards~

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BufferBob, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BufferBob

BufferBob TS Member

Lucky you it it. HAHA

2. BufferBob

BufferBob TS Member

Hell I have never been able to shoot that far back.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Probably about 2 feet high. HMB

4. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

With that kind of P.O.I., just keep your head on the wood, and "float the bird" above the end of the barrel...and she'll break

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, Rick, you are going to have to go back and do it again. You've made too many mistakes on this one to get any information from it. I recommend the method on the link above.

1. You don't want to shoot at a big circle like that; you want an aiming point, not an aiming area. So just make a series of crosses like tic tac toe. Shoot with the bead at the base of one of the crosses.

2. You want one shot per cross, not a bunch of shots at one. It makes a small hole so you can tell where the center of it is. Also, and equally important, it tells you how consistently you are holding the gun. And how tightly the gun is choked too. You can't tell any of that with multiple shots at the same aim-point.

3. And you have to do it again because this doesn't look like an 870 Comp at all. It's way too high and probably too open as well.

Please redo it and come back with new pictures.

Neil

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I agree with Neil. Way too high for an 870 Comp!!

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Just a WAG, depends on where you "aimed" at the Dr.Pepper spot though? It either shoots 5,6 or 7 inches high. At 40 yards, you'll be about a full pattern high with 5 inches.

Hap

8. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Swap barrels and see how it shoots.

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I like your tree, rick, and think your TMS might need a bit of its help. It sure looks like it shoots to the left to me. That's a modified choke in it now, right?

I didn't say I disbelieved that the first gun was an 870 Comp. But I don't think you have told us everything; that's all. Maybe you left out the aftermarket rib, or the accident, or the whopping bend upward someone put in it. Something like that . . .

Neil

10. setter

setter Member

Looks like the same tree to me!!!!!

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

From the few patterns shown, it does look like the TMS is shooting to the left. But, I would make sure before any barrel bending. When I test the POI I like to shoot 10 shots at 13 yards from a solid rest. Usually one or two patterns are discounted because I clearly pulled off the target. If I can get 8-9 hitting in the same place, I am confident that I can accurately measure the POI.

The pattern does look like a modified, or even more open, choke. A full choke pattern is much easier to read accurately.

Pat Ireland

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The only reason i don't own a comp 870 today was because they shot too flat. I think you got yourself a winner! Just touch the bird and pull the trigger. Perfect handicap gun. Jeff

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The one Comp I own so far shocked me with how high it shoots. I've only shot at 50 16-yard targets with it as I had to go to the local stockmaker to pick up a rifle from being bedded and dropped off the Comp to have Remington's "mud" finish and the original recoil pad replaced while I was there. But for me to break targets well, my guns have to be adjusted to shoot very high and I was able to break targets very well with the Comp.

With most Remingtons, I see the perfect figure-eight sight alignment, if you're into such things, but with this Comp, I have perhaps 3/8" of rib showing between the beads - a first for me with any Remington. I put a spirit level on the rib beside the beads and it fits tightly against it for the entire length, so the barrel isn't bent and my bore gauge tells me nothing has been done in there.

My contact at Remington told me that Comps were built to shoot higher than other 870 and 1100 trap guns with long-yardage handicap in mind. The recoil reduction system and single-shot operating system would lend themselves to that discipline, in the opinions of the Comp's designers.

Ed

14. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

As usual Ed......Very interesting!
    I always need more 870 trivia rolling around in my head!
    Now I wish I had kept that 870 comp. that I owned for a short while.

So many 870's [now 8M and counting] so little time....

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If you elect to sell it, please contact me! I don't know what causes it, but I can't hit the proverbial bull in the backside with a flat-shooting gun. I pattern them and the lowest pellets in the pattern are six inches above a 1" aiming spot, yet I can accidentally run a little over a target and still knock the top off of it. Something I do when moving to the target, I guess.

To give you an idea of how high that is, here's the stock on my 870TC adjusted to shoot for me.

[​IMG]

Yet the Comp with an unaltered stock shoots that high!

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.