1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

pattern spread related to FPS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Is there a relation ship to pattern spread and FPS. Loading STS shells with TGT12 wads CCI primers 1oz 7.5 with clays powder. would there be a noticable pattern change with faster loads. Maybe what im getting at is, Do faster FPS spread more or less than slower FPS

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Mac',

The faster the shell the turbulent the shot pattern is. This will happen reguardless of the shot quantity or size.

ec90t

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

...sometimes. Sometimes not. It certainly is impossible to go from lights to heavies or even handicap and effectively open your pattern - change chokes instead, that works. Sub-sonic to supersonic may be another story. HMB is right about this though I didn't believe it at first.

Neil

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

You won't see a lot of differences till the fast load exceeds 1300 FPS. The difference shows up with my gun at about 35 yards or so with more spread per pattern than a 1100 FPS load. This also gives you the impression that the light load patterns higher too but not if measured to the pattern centers from POA. Hap

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

BIG PAPA- You are correct in stating that many shooters will claim that faster speed will open the pattern. But, the patterns shot on paper do not always support this claim. I have seen Brad shoot silver bullets at 16 yards. I have also seen him shoot 16 yard targets at the Grand with a 20 ga.

As Neil advised, the simplest way to control the pattern size is to change the choke, not the shells.

Pat Ireland

6. Neil Winston

I've done, and posted, two tests of the above theory. In the linked one above, handloads at 1030, 1130, and 1230 fps were tested. The slow ones shot tighter than the other two which were the same.

Neil

7. Neil Winston

And this one. The reason I said "sometimes" and "sometimes not" was that in one of the two tests here - 1 1/8 oz. lights vs Nitro 27s - there was a small effect, but in the other, the same test with one-ounce loads showed no difference whatever.

Neil

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

you got some time Neil? Thank you saved me a bit of time. I was just wondering. I have been shooting reloads with a recipe fps at 1180 crushes targets for me, I shoot the unversal game loads at 1290, works fine but i tend not to get thee smashing hits i get with the reloads

9. Neil Winston

Mac, I think the best guess in your case is that you are using better shot and other components than the commercial game loads. The speed effect - if any at all - is likely to be small and probably immeasurable. But as I said, it's a "sometimes" thing which occasionally appears in a small way, moving a dozen or so pellets in or out of some pattern area. Mostly it makes no systematic difference at all.

By the way, I've always considered "smashing hits" evidence that both my shooting and shells are on track. If they go away when you switch shells, or wads, or shot, or chokes, then it's time to switch back.

Neil

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

maclellan1911- Also keep in mind that the published velocities for a load in a good reloading manual are usually fairly close but the velocity printed on the outside of a box of shells may not be very close. This is especially true if the shells are manufactured in Spain.

The last box I tested stated on the top flap that they were 7.5 shot with a velocity of 1200 ft/sec. Both numbers were incorrect.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.