1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

~~Pattern Question~~~

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by R_T, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R_T

R_T TS Member

Aug 21, 2007
    From my experience (and ONLY from my experience), the larger the shot size, the most stable the shot cluster and the tighter the pattern will be. Smaller shot sizes tend to produce more errant shot that curve away from the center of the pattern. The difference in pattern density between a load of #6 shot and the same load using #8 shot at 30 yards from my Kolar S/C is quite noticable.

I have also noted that each gun I own seems to pattern one specific shot size better than others. One gun produces very good patterns with a particular formula loaded with #7.5 while another gun produces very irregular patterns with that shot size but produces fine patterns if the same formula is loaded around #8.5 shot.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Whit smaller shot, the larger number of shot in the pattern increases the possibility of more deformed shot. This can increase the total pattern size but will not change the effective pattern size.

I have not been able to demonstrate a significant difference between 7.5 and 8 shot when comparing the % of shot in either the 20 inch core and a 30 inch pattern. If you compare 7.5 and 8 shot in three patterns, it is quite possible that you might see a difference, but if you do the same test using 10 patterns of each, the difference disappears.

Another complication is that, especially in lower priced shot (that is now a relative term), the shot size stamped on the bag may not describe accurately what is in the bag. Shot size in a bag or premium shot can also vary. Just because you are testing shot from a bag marked #8 does not guarantee that you are testing only #8 size shot.

Others have reported guns that will pattern one size shot better than another size. In the few guns I have tested, I have not seen this.

Pat Ireland
  3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Biff, the answer is yes; even 8's (if the shell has them, see Fred above) have a "bigger" pattern than any larger size. but not because the pattern is more spread out.

Here's what happens. Patterns are not some "size;" they just start out hot in the center and fade away as you move from the center. The consequence is that as you move from the center, the probability if a single pellet (or more if that's the way you like to think) hitting a target gets smaller and smaller.

There are more pellets in patterns using the same weight of smaller shot, so even if everything else is constant, the probability of a hit is greater just because there are more pellets.

What I'm after is that "pattern size" is not measured by a ruler, but rather by a probability, and the best way to do that, in my opinion, would be with Andrew Jones' 75% pattern spread if it worked for trap distances, which, unfortunately, it's not much good at.

That may not be what you are after, but it's the best I can do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.