1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pattern Paper

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kevin Nelson, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

Whats everyone using for patterning? What kind of Paper?

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Big roll of brown 'butcher's paper' does about the best for cost...

3. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Grease Board...........

GS

4. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Brown craft paper roll from Wal-Mart. Then I tape sheets of it to a large piece of cardboard.

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

It depends on how you will count the holes.

If you intend to use software, such as Dr. Jones' Shotgun Insight, the best material is the thin plastic sheeting sold by Precision Reloading. Each pellet punches a perfectly round hole with no hanging "chads" to confuse the software.

Next best is the white plastic table cloth roll sold by PartyLand. It is thicker than the Precision Reloading stuff, but much cheaper. It comes in a 100' roll.

U Line sells white butcher wrap paper in various widths. Pellet holes in paper are not as clean as in plastic, so you might have to fiddle with the software some to get an accurate count.

If counting by hand, almost anything will work. I used to use the red rolls of rosin paper sold at building supply shops or Home Depot. Old E sized architectural prints work well also.

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Stop by a couple of job trailers at a construction site and ask for some old blue-prints. They are 30 x 40 inches, and would be glad to give the old ones away.

Wayne

7. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Rosin paper also works.

8. vodkanockers

vodkanockers TS Member

I use the backside of a new 20" roll of wallpaper I got at a garage sale for a buck.

I just staple about 3 ft of it on to my 2 x 4 ft backstop out in the back yard

Ron

9. lesharris2305

lesharris2305 TS Member

Wallpaper purchased at garage sales or from paint stores at almost no cost.
    staple up and shoot.
    Les.

10. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

ZZT - thanks for the Precision Reloading paper that can be used for shotgun-insight.

11. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

end rolls of newsprint.

12. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

Just picked up a roll of the red resin paper, looks like it will work fine, thanks for the help.

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

zzt, I can't find it. What should I search for and how wide is it?

Neil

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

The patterning material from Precision Reloading no longer appears on their menus.

However, they still have it in stock. The product number is UPSP300. You can type that into the search box on the site, or copy and paste the link below.

http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PRE&Product_Code=UPSP300&Category_Code=

The material is white plastic and comes in a roll that is 40" wide by 300' long. It costs $34.99.

My patterning rig feeds this roll from the bottom onto a roll at the top, both behind battens. The material is under slight tension to keep it taught. I've found it better to take the picture of the pattern before you roll it up for the next shot.

15. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

Kevin, Use the card board that comes in the pallets of targets that divides the layers of targets
    Chuck

16. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Thanks, zzt. Is 40 inches wide really enough?

Neil

17. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Sure. All you need is a 30" circle.

18. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Neil, pull or release?

I use a heavy weight kraft paper I purchase at an office supply store. I believe its 40wt. Price is $20 n change for 200 ft of 48". This is for patterning. For checking POI, Lowes has a brown paper in paints that's probably cheaper but only 35" width.

19. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Neil, I'm happy with this material at 40" wide. Since I really only care about what goes into the 30" circle, it tells me what I need to know. As you, Perazzi and several others have repeatedly pointed out, you are going to lose some number of pellets no matter what, so why worry about them.

When I was patterning my Superposed, I taped sheets together for a series of patterns. At 80" x 80" I caught all of the pellets from those beautifully patterning barrels. Later, trying the same with my Beretta barrels and chokes, I found that 70" by 70" was not big enough to catch them all.

If you count the pellets you put in each shell and enter it correctly in SI, you get good PE readings. I know Andrew worries about an accurate 75% diameter, but I'm not that fussy. I worry more about pellet distribution. My goal is to have a complete series of individual patterns show no blue in the 20" circle when the Edge On Clays is clicked. Of course, that's never going to happen.

20. Thom Simpson

Thom Simpson Member

I use corn seed signs. Plastic cardboard. Mycogen's are best. Dekalb are stapled and flying cob not the best. Pioneer sighs work.