1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pattern my gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by widomaker, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Pattern my gun ?

Everyone keeps telling me to pattern my gun and I'm afraid to do it as its brand new and what do I do if it sucks. Can't throw it away and then I'd have to shoot with it knowing its no good. Its a brand new XT Trap Combo for the Dixie . Any thoughts on this one ???

Martin 0765881

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

It's absolutely "No Good" if you don't know where it's shooting. If you have any doubts, get rid of it now and get a good trap gun.

I would suggest a laser boresight, but it's still not like shooting/patterning with different loads, etc.

Curt

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The pattern is sure to be fine if you use good shells. Really. Just fine. Don't worry about it. I've never seen a gun- or choke tube - that didn't pattern well. Some are more open than you plan for them to be, some tighter, but as long as you stay with pretty-tight to tight, your pattern is not likely to be any worse that the guy's next to you.

That's the pattern. You may want to check the point of impact, but unless you are willing to do the work required, you are better off passing that up too, for the time being.

Neil

4. Earl4140

Earl4140 TS Member

Martin: You have me worried! widomaker: "Everyone keeps telling me to pattern my gun and I'm afraid to do it as its brand new and what do I do if it sucks. Can't throw it away ......"

FWIW I don't believe "Everyone keeps telling...". Bored? N. Winston posted all you need to know. FWIW Frank Little said "Never pattern your gun. If you think something is wrong have a friend pattern the gun". Earl4140

5. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Earl4140 And all.

Thanks for the info. Thats what I think wanted to hear. There is a whole lot of information to try and digest all at once. Drams, Loads Claybusters Kickeeze . POI, Gun Mount, Gun fit Patterning Muzzel Jump . I shot my first trap target in may of 07 I didn't even know what trap was at the time and I had a new Citori gran lightning. I was told I should buy a "real trap gun" Bought a BT99 for the NY State Shoot . Shot the singles but I wanted to try shoot doubles so I begged the wife for the XT Combo. I've listened alot learned some watched the best shooters shoot whenever I could.

Thanks again see ya at the Dixie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.