1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pattern Master choke tube - good for ducks?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skarloey, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skarloey

skarloey TS Member

Anybody using a Pattern Master choke tube for duck hunting? Any comments pro/con? Is this choke tube something really unique and did it help you kill more ducks?

2. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Lots of duck hunters use Pattern Master chokes.
    They are not unique, but they are one of a bunch of very good chokes.
    (You do pay for gimmicks with PM, though)

3. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Yes, yes, and yes! I tried a lot of chokes over the years on live critters and also on the patterning board. Patterns are better in MY guns with the PM over other chokes that I have tried with the loads that I use. I am shooting a PM in a Benelli SBE and it just crushes the birds.

I did take off on a dove hunt on opening day and forgot to take another choke with me. I had to shoot the doves a long way off to keep from turning them to mush. The first shot was like post 8 high house and it breasted out the dove and it required no cleaning the distance was probably 20 yards incoming. Fritz the GWP NWA got the carcass on that one.

Try it, I think that you will like it. Rick Gibbs

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    ,a href="http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0005576222085a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=patternmaster&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=patternmaster&noImage=0">Patternmaster Choke Tubes at Cabelas</a><br>
    <br>
    Is this the outfit that claims you can "swat down coyotes at 70 yards" with buckshot with their choke tubes? That's a mighty tall order. Anyone try their buckshot tubes? They claim 100% in a 20" circle at 40 yards with 00 buck.<br>
    <br>
    If you do try them, remember Cabelas offers a full refund if not satisfied.

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

All I can say is that I shoot long range ducks and the pattermaster choke tubes were the biggest joke I have ever seen. If you are going to shoot over the decoys you can duplicate the pattermaster choke tubes by using a skeet choke tube. That is all they are. Even on the web site one fella talks about how well the pattermaster worked with steel 4's and steel 2's. If you birds are close enough that steel 4's and 2's will kill them then you don't need anything special. I hunt a bunch of public ground and your average shot is 45 yards. Big steel was not happening through the pattermaster chokes we used in either the 10 or the 12 ga. But... We don't pattern at 40 yards. We pattern at 50 and 60 yards and at those ranges the Briley Im modified chokes worked far better with large steel then the Pattermaster chokes did. I shot T's and TT's in the 10ga and steel 1's and T's in the 12. I am sure that with small shot at close range they work fine but the little tits on the choke tubes are not doing anything to help with long range patterns and at close range there is no magic. Just put a shell in the gun and shoot. 35 yards or less you don'y need a howitzer. 12 ga gun with a factory steel load through an I.C or a Modified choke will kill every Mallrd that flies as dead as a Mackeral at 35 yards. If you are going to shot at 40 yards plus in cold weather you need more shell and more choke and the Pattermaster didn't seem to pattern big shot nearly as well as teh Briley and the reason was it was way to open. A condition that would help over the decoys. In my opinion Pattermaster figiured out that 90% of shooters shoot the birds at less then 25 yards so they built a tube that would work great at 25 to 35 yards. Most guys were overchoked at this same range before and now they are using the right choke so they believe it's some kind of magic. No magic... Just the right choke for the job.. As long as the job is close at hand. JMO Jeff

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Steel will make a shooter out of you due to the short shot string. Glad to see you are using BB's as most guys use smaller steel and chase cripples all day. Our shooting in the Pacific Flyway is not what it once was and we have been hunting more geese then ever do to the duck situation. I don't know where the birds are buy they aren't here and the season is still 120 days and 7 ducks. Jeff

7. swipoff

swipoff TS Member

I love the patternmaster in my super x2. My wifes gun with remchoke is too open. On public hunting you end up with a lot of long shots. I have a lot less cripples than with regular tubes. I shoot a winchester supreme 3 inch load of #3. My super x2 has a bore of .742 and when you add the patternmaster it is a tight choke. In my wifes gun it just ends up at .010 choke. Ok for her to shoot since she will not take long shots. Depending on what the final choke is when you are done they are excelent chokes. I have also used wrights tubes and had good steel patterns at 65 yards. Found that the fast 1450 and 1550 fps loads did not pattern too well but the 1350 and 1400 fps did great. I have more stone dead kills at long range with a tight pattern of 3 shot than I do with bb or 1s. Hope this helps. Justin

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

As an FYI...it's alloy is tungsten/bronze/iron....

I've used the Hevi-shot (#4) with a IC or Lt. Mod. (Briley) shooting ducks and geese over decoys with very good results.

Steel shot should be outlawed.

Curt

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I am going to get in on the rebate deal and get a case of the bigger stuff. Sadly it's really hard to beat TT's in my 10 ga. It's so seldom that I get in on any good duck shoting that when it does happen I am not going to screw around with steel in my 10. I am going to run hevi-shot through a SX-1 and just enjoy. Or even better I will use OB. ( old Bismuth) hint-hint wink wink).Jeff

10. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

A good choke, but not really needed for ducks. Pattern Masters were designed for big,big shot[as in Goose hunting].

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

anyone use patternmaster for doves

do patternmaster choke tubes really produce shorter shot string forums

pattern master chokes duck hunting forums