1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pattern Loss ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1100 REMINGTON MAN, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

I just cleaned up my barrel the other day, getting the plastic out of the Choke. Has anyone tested this how much Pattern loss does one have with a fowled choke ?

2. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Neil Winston? Fowled or Fouled? Seems the only chokes that really get fouled are tubes, fixed chokes seem to not have as bad a problem. One would think it has some bearing. When I shot choke tubes, Clay buster wads seemed to add it on quicker than Down Range or Remington. YMMV. Scott

3. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

It's a lot of work to "pattern" a gun. How do you define fouled choke? It would be a waste of time.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Plastic fouling in chokes depends on the quality of wads plastic. Using a cheap brand of wads in my P TM-1 years back, I literally had plastic flags waving from the end of my barrel using those cheap wads!! I went with better quality wads and will continue regardless of fixed or choke tubed barrels!

Hap

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

1100 RM, real patterning, that is, tests that give information rather then guesswork and BS, are so much work (see the latter part of the thread linked above) that the test you ask about would make no sense, since it's so much easier just to clean the barrel. You would have to be crazy to do it when there are real questions more worth working on.

Neil

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Hap, how many rounds would it take to see those waving flags?

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Johnny, barrel smoothness and choke smoothness will determine how much plastic will stick. Dan Bonillas shoots his Perazzi hundreds of rounds before cleaning his but will say he uses quality wads/shells all the time too.

When mine had the plastic flags waving from the end of the barrel, I'd had some shade tree gun smithing outfit do some forcing cone and porting work on my barrel. Using the cheap wads, within around 800 or so shots was all it took! I had a real gunsmith straighten out the forcing cone and polished the barrel and chokes myself as smooth as I possibly could. That helped a lot preventing plastic build-up and when I'd used up all my cheap wads, I now only use quality plastic wads for all my reloading.

As Neil said above, a couple shots at the pattern board usually won't tell you much of anything. However, one with a mis-cut forcing cone will do terrible things to a pattern. On my P gun, the right side of the patterns were very very weak when compared to the left side! After the fix, the same gun now shoots better pattern percentages than when new!

Hap

8. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

"800 or so shots was all it took!"

That is a lot of rounds without cleaning, at least it seems to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.