1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pattern less than perfect

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Browning Man, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

Well I recently got moved back to the 24 yard line and my scores have been slipping some, so I figured that I would take the gun to my local gunsmiths range (figuring that he had plenty of cardboard and posters) and pattern it at my handicap distance to the target, 40-44 yards. I started at 13 yards checking my POI, which was good, so I then backed up to my handicap range using my normal Imp. Mod. briley choke. I found that the pattern had several holes in it where a target could slip through, so then I tried my briley Light Full and Full, the pattern on those two were just as bad if not worse. I patterned using my newly used reloads (21.5 grains of greendot 1 1/8 of 7 ½’s using the white claybuster AA replacement wad). I would have patterned a new AA if I had one handy but didn’t bring any with me. So do you think this is a reload problem or choke? If choke, what kind of choke would you recommend for handicap?

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

First off..;What brand shot are you using? I will add this friend, a pattern of 7 1/2's at 42 yards never looks very good to begin with. I would find out how many pellets you have in the load to begin with. Weigh the charge that your loader is throwing. If you are getting a full 1 1/8 weight then your shot is too soft unless you are using an adjustable charge bar to throw your shot charges. If using an adjustable charge bar or a modified mec bar to get a full 1 1/8 of shot...So be it. Count a couple or 5 and get an average. Draw a circle ( After you have shot not before!) 30 inches around the most dense part of the pattern and then count all the holes. Now you get get a rough idea as to what pattern % you are getting at 42 yards, Keep in mind everything looks great at 30 yards and even premium trap loads start to fade at 42 yards and more so with 7 1/2's!! Wanna see a pattern look great?? Shoot 8's!! I am being serious. I have patterned since I was 12 years old and in am in my 40's and I can tell you two things about all this, #1 The further back you go after 37 yards or so the worse it looks. 7 1/2's look bad just about no matter what. #2 Lots of guns will shoot 90% patterns at 40 yards. 45 yards not so many. A few yards does make a difference when you start looking at a 30 inch circle.

All this if far better done at least 10 times to get better averages. If your percentages are very low then screw with a few chokes to see if you can get a better pattern, Most important is to make sure you are throwing a full 1 1/8 of shot. Good Hard shot ( Lawrence magnum, Westcoast magnum, Remington STS Brand) will weight 1 1/16 by volume in your standard Mec Charge bar and that may well hold true for other loaders as well ( Should???). Higher antimony pellets are lighter hence there are more of them per volume. Since volume is how the loader measures, if your loader is only throwing 1 1/16 of shot you are shorting your self pellets to begin with.

A Premium trapload is very hard to beat and if my gun was not tossing a pattern that gave a high enough pattern percentage with a premium trap load then I would know for sure that it wasn't my reload. These are places to start. Good luck. Jeff

3. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

Jeff, I am using Westcoast magnum shot.

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

That is a great shot to use. Are you using a Mec bar or a universal charge bar or a different loader totally? Jeff

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

SuperXJeff is right on the money, shot weight is one of the many reasons I've been using an ajustable bar for years. Wayne

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

You say 40-44 yards, I wonder which, Browning Man. Even at 40 yards( 1 1/8 oz & 7 1/2's) all real trap patterns have holes. More with IM chokes.

Just use full and shoot without any delay and you will be OK.

If you want to start counting holes we can get deeper into this but that's a lot of work.

Neil

7. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

Im using a mec bar, thanks for the replies guys.

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

You can have the bar reamed out a tiny bit to throw the full charge of shot. Just throw a charge and keep adding pellets by hand onto your scale. 1/16 of an oz is worth having in the load! As Neil said.. All loads at a real 40 plus yards have holes a target can slip through from time to time. They do not usually have them in the exact center of the pattern though! Ha-Ha-ha. No hope for an excuse there. My advice is first get yourself a full 1 1/8 of shot and then get a tighter choke. Jeff

9. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

Thanks Jeff

10. rick979

rick979 Active Member

You just got punched a yard. Shoot the same choke you were using the day you got the punch. If it broke them at 23 it will break them at 24. Forget the rest and just shoot the target.

11. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I've got a gun that throws the most beautiful pattern on paper. I had a gunsmith pattern that gun and he said it was the most perfect pattern he had ever seen. He gave me the sheet it was patterned on and told me to take it home and frame it. I've got it it a drawer and it does look great. That said though I can't hit a bull in the a** with that gun.

I've got another gun that would probably qualify as having one of the worst patterns ever put on paper. It has a pattern about 10 to 12 inches tall and about 4ft. wide. Everything I've won has come using that gun though. So go figure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.