1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

pattern gun today/need advice

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I pattern my kolar today. The 34 inch unsingle barrl shoots about 10 to 12 inches above target with imp mod choke and number 8 shot. I center targets with this point of impact. The unsingle has adjustable rib. The 30 inch bottom barrel of the o/u barrel shoots about 70/30 with im choke and top barrel shoots about right on, This seems ok for doubles. The other barrel with a 32 inch o/u with the adjustable rib shoots both barrels 5 inches low but same point of impact. Do i need a new hanger or just raise the comb? THANKS

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"The other barrel with a 32 inch o/u with the adjustable rib shoots both barrels 5 inches low but same point of impact."

How is or was the rib adjusted where the patterns go five inches low? Was it all the way up? I'd think such a gun would come regulated as a set but who knows. Hap

3. smsnyder

the rib was all the way up. by the way i measured my unsingle pattern. it is shooting 15 to 17 inches above reference point. what point of impact is that? i crush the targets with this point of impact at 16 and caps. i tend to shoot fast so target is rising.

4. smsnyder

hap , i bought this 32 inch o/u barrels with adjustable rib as a proto type. kolar does not offer adjustable ribs on there o/u barrels. i am probably going to try to lower the front part of the rib down and raise the comb on this barrel. this barrel has a much higher rib than the standard kolar.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Earl, if this were mine, I would want the POI to shoot directly (ON 50/50) if the rib was adjusted ALL the way up. Since yours is five inches below POA, this reduces the amount of usable adjustment quite a bit. I've never heard of anyone wanting to have such a low shooting pattern in the adjustment. That's a major overlook by the maker in my opinion. Or, whoever put the adjustable rib on in the first place. Lower the rib till you get it shooting the POI where you want it. That instead of monkeying around setting the comb at a different elevation throwing off the other barrel POIs. Hap

6. smsnyder

hap, i set front rib all the way down second time and it did raise point of impact some. i just forgot my allen tool to raise comb also. perhaps if i raise comb to get fugure 8 sight picture poi will also raise. What poi do you thing my unsingle is shooting? thanks

7. smsnyder

i lowered the front part of rib all the way down. when i look down the barrel with this adjustment without raising the comb it is as plat as a pancake. i only see back bead. perhaps this barrel needs different hangers. i have not tried to raise comb yet on this barrel yet.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Depends on what, "i set front rib all the way down second time and it did raise point of impact some." that some is Earl? Raising the comb will give you a higher POI too from that point. I've read in past posts that you shoot fairly quick? Quick shots can use a higher POI than a slow shooter shooting birds at the peak. Forget about the mid-bead. Set the comb to shoot the pattern center POI about 8 inches high and shoot clays as if they were grouse were flying from the rooftop? (I hafta do/did some guessin here) Hap

9. smsnyder

does an adjustable rib on o/u barrels only effect impact on top barrel? both barrels shoot same place 4 to 6 inches low dead center. i guess since both barrels shoot about the same by raising the comb to get a figure 8 etc. both barrel impact should also raise. if this don't work i will have to change front hanger on this barrel. the other o/u barrel i got shoots perfect 70/30 poi bottom barrel dead center top barrel at 32 yards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.