1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pattern Distance

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Easy Does It, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easy Does It

Easy Does It TS Member

Hey Gang, I've been following some of the recent threads on POI. All of them talk about patterning at 13yards. I don't understand. I always was taught to pattern at 31 yards 16 for the singles distance and 15 more for the average distance the target travels before impact. What am I missing here? Patterning for HC would be the same, your HC plus 15-16yards....Am I that confused?

Thanks
    Rick DeMerle

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

It really depends on what statistics your looking for.

The 32 yds is a point that the average shooter breaks a 16 yd target. Same average 27 yarder breaks theirs around 42.

Both these are for patterning analysis at taget breaking distance.

POI work is done for pattern placement and is entirely different discovery work. For this 13yds or 20 yds can be used as it is esiser to discover pattern center, relative to aiming point.

3. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

There's 2 good answers. Will the thread stop here?

Brett D.

4. Easy Does It

Easy Does It TS Member

Thanks Guys, I think I got it....One last question then. If I pattered my gun at 31 yards and the center of the pattern is 6 to 8 inches above the POA what should that tell me, other than my gun shoots 6 to 8 inches high, if anything?
    Thanks Again
    Rick

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

That's what it will tell you, Rick. And that's about all.

Neil

6. welderman

welderman TS Member

I'm preparing to resume my pattern photography and have a question. If the average target is broken at 32 yards when shooting from the 16 yard line, the bird in in the air for 16 yards at the instant of break. When shooting from 27 yards, the bird is in the air for 15 yards if it is broken at a distance of 42 yards. Is there a reason for the 1 yard bird travel difference, or is it just established convention? I'm curious because I would like to use accepted conditions. Tom S (welderman)

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Honestly, and using some common sense regarding patterning, you should pattern your gun at the approximate distance you break your targets.

After all, this is the point at which you should be concerned about the pattern.

Arrange for a friend to stand way to the side of the traphouse, SAFELY, and determine where you break your 16 yard targets. THAT should be the point at which you should pattern the gun. Don't you think? If you shoot quick, you should be able to use a more-open choke, and conversely so.

If you break a 16 yard target right out of the house (a quick shooter), you may be breaking them at 26 yards, or if a slow shooter you may be breaking them at 30+ yards. Common sense would tend to place the importance at the point of breaking the target and not some ambiguous distance of, say 31 yards.

IMHO.

Whiz

8. guncase

guncase TS Member

An experiment you should all try!

Put the pole in that you use to set targets ,at 10 yards, and see if you can break a target BEFORE it goes past this pole. I don't think there are very many shooters who can break them that soon!

I cannot, and I am,"was", a quick shooter. I break 16 yds at about 30 yds, and handicap about 44yds. Paul

9. welderman

welderman TS Member

I agree with the responses. Here is the dilenema. If everyone decides to pattern from the distance they actually break birds, then everyone will be patterning from a different distance and the job of comparing pattern statistics will become more complicated. It makes more sense to me to agree on standardized patterning distances even if those aren't the distances at which we actually break targets. After all, we are trying to document gun performance when we shoot patterns. Tom S (welderman)

10. guncase

guncase TS Member

really not a "delima",,, I don't care where Joe's gun, or Jim's,or Bob's or Mike'guns pattern,, Only where MINE does,, . And you only really care where YOURS shoots. And it depend just what you are trying to find out what distance you take your shots from. Paul

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Paul,

If Joe, Bob, Louie, or Franco's gun breaks targets better from the spot where you shoot your targets, wouldn't it be in your best interest to make a deal on that gun and find someone who breaks targets where your gun patterns best to buy your gun from you ...? I'm making a note and going to put it in my new book coming out "Brilliant Deductions" by WPT ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

(This is meant to be a joke people so take it as such or don't take it at all)

12. welderman

welderman TS Member

I agree that ones ability to consistently break targets depends on many things, and that someone elses gun may break more targets than yours. I also agree that if you find yourself in that position, maybe you should try to buy the gun that works best for you. I'm talking about something else, however. I'm talking about the pattern characteristics that vary from gun to gun, and are independent of who shoots the gun. That's the phenomenon that I am attempting to capture in my photographs. Paper patterns are okay, but they don't give you information on when each pellet arrived. That's why I am attepting to photograph the shot cloud, and that's why I asked about pattern distance. Based on responses to date, I'm planning to photograph at 32 yards. If I can't resolve individual pellets at that distance, I will move closer. Tom S.(welderman)

13. guncase

guncase TS Member

WPT,,,, ya but,, those guys are like you, got the good shootin' guns and ain't gonna let me have one!! I always have to build up the guns I shoot, then one of my friends shoots it one day and won't give it back. Or I sell it then realize ,,, "hey, that was a mistake".

Working on a unsingle 3200 now,, afraid to pattern it... Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.