1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

pattern distance

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pacemaker, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pacemaker

Pacemaker Member

At what distance do you shoot a test pattern?

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

For patterning I prefer about 35 yards (16 yards + 20 to take the bird) for singles, I back up for my handicap yardage.

Jay

3. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

I used to pattern at the same distance I expected to shoot the target/whatever. Otherwise, the information I got was meaningless.

Andy Moreland

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Use the search function to find much more on this subject!! One of the all-time favorites, right up there with 7 1/2 or 8's!!!

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Andy- Are you suggesting that a pattern that is very good at 30 yards might not be good at 40 yards?

Pat Ireland

6. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

Assuming that your question is serious, let's put it this way: if you have the room to pattern the gun at the distance at which you intend to shoot the target, there is no logic at all in shooting at a shorter distance and then wondering what the flyers will do over the next 10 yards. If you want to know what the pattern might look like at 40 or 50 yards shoot the gun at that distance. And don't be too surprised when you find out just how much of a difference there is from shot to shot.

Andy Moreland

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I depends on what ou want to find out, pacemaker.

1. If you want to find out _where_ it shoots, you can't beat the 13-yard off-a-bench test which is cited so often here.

2. If you want to find out _how_ it shoots it's way more work. You will need some 40- or 48- inch paper and be willing to count some pellets and shoot at least a few patterns. If you won't commit to this, there's not much point in doing it at all.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.