1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pattern control wads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Anybody used these types of wads that are supposed to "open up" your choke pattern? The reason I am asking is that I have a beautiful old Model 50 trap gun, (Probably in 95%+ condition). I want to use this gun for sporting clays. (I really like the balance and feel of the gun). However it has a full choke. Would these type of wads open the choke up, where it might be close to a modified choke in performance? I hate to install tubes; as it quite possibly will hurt the value of the gun. Thanks. Ed

2. esoxhunter

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If you are talking about the PC Post type wads, they are sometimes effective in opening up the pattern about one choke degree. They can also have a disatrous effect on the pattern. My first experience with them was over 30 years ago when Remington loaded them in factory shells. I've tried them numerous times, but was never really satisfied with the performance for trap. Skeet was a different story. It made my old Modified barrel pattern like an IM choke.

The only real way to tell would be to load some shells and hit the pattern board. I've had such mixed results, I can't predict what your outcome might be.

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Ed, I wouldn't bother. Been there; done that. Just shoot your full and be done with it. Using 8 1/2 shot will open your patterns a bit. Upping the velocity to 1250fps+ will open the 8 1/2s a little more. Going to 9 shot opens it even more.

You are really only worried about the closer than 20 yards and the 20 to 30 yard shots. Anything past there you are fine with full. So buy some factory spreader shells for the close stuff, then load 1oz 8 1/2 for the 20-30 stuff (8 1/2s will break 50+yard targets if launched at 1250fps. Use your trap loads for anything farther. That way you keep your gun, and its value intact, and you have a more than reasonable setup for Sporting.

5. esoxhunter

Zzt: You make a lot of sense. I have located some DownRange PC wads. I will load some along with some #8 1/2 shot that I have. Near as I can figure; if I miss the target, it won't be the gun OR the shells fault!!! Ha... Ed

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ed, you might want to use chilled shot. Chilled Shot will open faster than your hard shot. I have had many a shooter tell me this. I have not tried to prove it myself. Just go out and have fun. I just broke my first 90 in sporting this weekend and did it with the 28 ga. as well. All fun. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.