1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pattern Control Wads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

A fellow shooter at the club gave me a bag of wads yesterday. I've never had any experience with them and wonder if anyone out there has used them. They are DownRange Pattern Control wads. (P.C. 12-Post). I suppose I could shoot them for practice or sporting clays; but was just wondering what they are supposed to do. Thanks. Ed

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Post wads are spreader wads.

3. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

some use them as the first shot in doubles with an auto. To have a more of an open choke for the first round.... Grubby

4. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

They "roughly" open the pattern by one choke size. The tighter the choke the better they work.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

DR bought the tooling because it was available and there was a niche market for the wads. They are about the ugliest wads DR makes and after loading and shooting 500 I can't see what the fascination is. Use them because you got them free but they DO have their own reloading data; no subs.

Keller

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I'll probably load them for sporting clays. I can't find any load data for them. I shoot a light load for clays anyway so it probably won't matter. 1 oz loads with STS primers and 17 grains of Promo.

7. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Lots of guys here in the midwest use these post wads for sporting clays. They do open up your pattern as I have pattered them. They really do work. Call Kevin at DownRange Mfg. for loading data. DownRange has a very informative web site, check it out for a phone number.

8. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

Look for data for the PC Red wad. The Red wad is like the Post version except it doesn't have the post! Imagine that...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
pattern control post wads
pattern control reloading data

pattern control wads

pattern control wads load data

pattern control wads reloading data

pc red wads
red pattern control wad
reloading data using pattern control wads