1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pattern Board ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chipped1, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

I've read the post regarding using a pattern board to determine POI and would like some clarification. Pat and Neil discuss using a distance of 13 yards to determine POI. Since both of you gentlemen appear to have science backgrounds, could you please explain what happens to the shot when it hits a steal plate pattern board fired at from a distance of 13 yards? Does all the shot flatten on impact and loose all its energy or is there the potential of being hit by some of the pellets?

Chip

2. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Chip,

You should be wearing safety glasses regardless.

There may be potential for ricochet, but generally the lead pellets will flatten.

You are using lead shot, correct?

Personally, I have been hit by ricochet at indoor pistol ranges, but it was the copper jacket I was hit by, and it happens rarely.

I go to a pistol range for this kind of testing: The target carriers hold the paper so there is no deflection and there is a bench to rest the gun on, which is something you need to do for POI testing. But if all I had was a steel plate at a shotgun range, I would not hesitate to use it.

Mike

3. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

Thanks for the replies. I too have been hit at an indoor range while shooting at metal targets (45 foot)-- that's what prompted the question. At the club I shoot at,

I always wear safety glasses but was a little concerned about shooting at a steal plate that is only 13 yards away.

Chip

4. wizard!

wizard! TS Member

this is what you need for a pattern board, We have been using ours for several years.
    GREASE BOARD SPECS
    BOARD IS 36” X 36” 1/8” THICK WEIGHT 99 LBS

GREASE COATING FORMULA
    5 TUBS WHITE LITHUM GREASE
    APPROX ½ QUART SYNTHETIC OIL
    ½ + QUART OF WHITE PAINT PIGMENT(available at lowes paint)

stir all of this up in container smear on board with rubber gloves and roll out with paint roller

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Chip- I have never used a steel plate for pattern analysis so I do not have any actual knowledge about your question. I do think it would be foolish to shoot a steel plate at 13 yards and I have never seen a solid bench rest set up 13 yards from a steel pattern board and a solid rest is required to check the POI.

To do any reasonable pattern analysis of one load, 10 different patterns should be shot, taken home and analyzed. This takes a bit of time. If you test two loads in one afternoon, you will end up with 20 patterns to count. I do not want to load 20 sheets of steel coated with grease or thick wet paint in my Explorer, carry them home, unload them and count hits in a 20 and 30 inch circle.

If you want to shoot a piece of steel and stand back and look at the pattern without any analysis, wouldn't it be just as good shooting into the side of a hill and watching the dust fly or shooting a target box t 30 yards and see if it falls over?

Pat Ireland

6. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

Pat,

I use resin paper to pattern my guns. The board that holds the paper is steel and therefore the concern about pellets making a return trip.

And I also shoot ~ 5 to 10 rounds to make sure the data is repeatable.

In the past I have used 30-35 yards and estimated the center of the pattern. This method works OK, I was interested in what others do to see if I could improve the POI of my gun.

Thanks for your input.

Chip

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Chip- I misunderstood your first post. I have seen large steel pattern boards at some clubs and I can't figure out how they can be used effectively.

Pat Ireland

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If the pattern plate is thick enough (1/4") and the support structure is rigid enough there will not be any bounce back. I have fired a lot of lead shot and bullets at steel and have never been struck. I have been struck by lead bullets that bounced back off of bowling pins and railroad ties.

Jm Skeel

9. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

Putting cardboard between the resin paper and the steel plate seems like it would prevent shot from bouncing back.

I would prefer a pattern board that was a hollow frame so that the shot would just continue down range.

Thanks to all for your input.

Chip

10. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Just a thought, I'm new here and probably have zero credibility with you guys, but here goes any way. I use paper @ 16yrds and the tightest choke I have. Draw a 2" circle at 5'6" height, stare at the dot not the bead and fire about 3 rounds. For each inch the pattern is off it will take 1\16th of an inch adjustment to shoot where you want the POI to be. This also works left and right as well as up and down. 16 yrds makes the math work for 1\16th adjustment. I use this with young shooters, it gives them the confidence that they are shooting where they are looking.

I know it sounds crazy but try it before you hang me or shoot me.

11. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Mercedesman1901/or anyone else- will indoor pistol ranges allow this?? Sounds like a good way to check POI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.