1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pattern Board

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Buster1652, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buster1652

Buster1652 Member

What size should the target be when placing on a pattern board?

How big should the circles and or center target be on the paper?

What is the paper of choice to make the target from?

What is the distance from the shooter to the pattern board.

Have purchased a new combo and need to see whats going on.

Thanks in advance

Art

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Just buy a package of Winchester patterns from Shooting Sports Magazine. They are easy to use, faster, everything is written on the sheet, they fold up for saving and more accurate. All you need is a wood frame and some cardboard. I went through the hassle of making my own sheets. What a pain in the A**.

3. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Several people recommend patterning at 13 yards, I prefer to shoot a pattern at 20 yards. The resultant 20 yard pattern gives a me a better idea of the pattern diameter and center. Find the center of the pattern in inches and double that number and you have how high the gun shoots at 40 yards.

I draw a black dot about 2" in diameter on the pattern board.

Try both ways and see what works best for you.

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Get a real estate for sale steel frome, have card board about 3 foot x 3 foot
    and pirece holes in the cardboard and use solid strand wire to hold the cardboard to the frame, Draw a line about 1/3 up about 1 foot long now draw a bead in the center. Place the Frame anywhere from 35 - 40 yards out and using a rest for the gun, ise a folded towel to keep from scratching the gun, and fire one shot from a rest and you know how the Bbl is performing, Myself I shoot 3 shells.

To renew the board use gift wrap paper using the plain whit side for replacement
    pattern paper, I write the gun name distance and shell w/specs used and save the pattern paper for future use.

I am fortunate enogh I can pattern in my backyard shooting off the porch and railing as a rest.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Gary, do you shoot three shells at one paper or three shells at three papers? And whatever the answer is, I hope you can tell us why you do it that way.

Neil

6. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Be sure the area where you are planning to shoot patterns is safe and all clear behind. Your set up can be as elaborate or simple as you like. Many clubs have a board set up, you usually provide your own paper and thumbtacks.

I have a pal that runs an auto-body shop and he saves me the cardboard that fenders, doors, and hoods are shipped in. They are perfect for patterning. Check the local body shop, they will probably be glad to get rid of the cardboard.

It is pretty common to use the 13 yard shot for poi reference. I usually just use a marker to draw a cross and aim for the center. A bench rest will eliminate a lot of the error factor.

Next you want to see what you have at a further distance. Commonly 30-32 yards for your 16 yard line choke. 40 yards for long handicap. I just use spray paint to make a roughly 3 inch dot on the cardboard. Shoot, and then mark your circles using a marker on a string with a nail on the end to stick into the cardboard. I draw a 30 inch circle and a 20 inch circle directly in the center of the shot placement. Remember your circles will not be centered on the spray painted aim point, unless your gun shoots dead flat. You can then draw a horizontal line across the center of the shot placement to figure the above/below %. Change cardboard, shoot and repeat because once will not tell you much. Then have fun counting the pellets.

7. Neil Winston

Buster, Gary and RCL have described ways that work fine. But if you just want to find out, in your words, "what's going on," the link above will give you some advice which also works.

Neil

8. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Buster. Neil's pdf has some great pics and info to give you an idea of how to go about it. Worth more than 1000 of our words.

9. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Just go to the website Neil has in his post. Neil is a good person, from my understanding from other Minnesota shooters that know him, and has alot of good ideas and research to back them up. One of these days at a local shoot, I'm going to push my hand out and introduce myself to Neil.

Again, read Neil's post and your questions (all of them) should be answered. And do yourself a favor -- forget what Dr. Longshot said. For one thing he says to find a real estate sign frame. I don't know about you, but I just don't seem to see them lying around for the 'taking'.....cya

10. himejim

himejim Member

Neil,

I patterned my gun a few weeks back using your grid method (thanks for the great ideas and insights). On the rest, with my beads in a nice figure 8, the pattern at 13 yards is perfectly centered 3" above the bullseye. I tried multiple chokes and different loads. Always got the same result.

I was happy to find that the gun was centered yet my shooting results were not satisfactory. So I mounted the gun 10 or so times to see if when I mounted it if I had the same figure 8. The result of mounting showed a figure 8 or nearly an 8.

So, I decided to shoot the paper again but his time standing and moving the gun up to the bullseye. The point of impact showed I was 3 high but left of center 3". So I moved my comb to the right and shot paper again, now 3" high and 2" left. Moved comb more right and shot again and this time 3' high and dead center.

I obviously am doing someting after mounting and in my swing that affects my POI. It really bothers me that on the bench, I am not centered but, what really matters is how I am hitting birds. It is too soon to tell. But, what is a long term fix to where the bench center is the same as the "moving up" center?

Thanks, Jim

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

Jim,
    You are pulling the gun left when you shoot. Try a test.

Have a buddy load the gun for you without you looking. He will insert a shell randomly. Shoot at a stationary target. You will see the gun muzzle move when there is no shell in the chamber.

Jordan's Wall Chart can help with this affliction.

Don Verna

12. himejim

himejim Member

Don,

Thanks for your thought. I will try to do your test soon. Any thoughts on why I am doing this when I fire?

Jim

13. Neil Winston

I'm leaning toward Don's explanation, Jim. But before I "commit" I need to know a little more about your results being "not satisfactory." Scores? Breaks? smoke? What was it you didn't like?

The final judge is scores and smoke, Jim, and when they increase you are making the right adjustments. And I don't worry too much how you get there. I don't like guns I can't line up behind bet I've shot them fine anyway. I've seen a problem like your helped by just what you have done as well.

Remember, all the shooters who use these very high points of impact we are reading so much about here these days are designing in POI's which differ - performance wise- from the one they get at the bench. There is no way a 15-inch-high POI will break much unless there is something else unconventional about the timing of the trigger pull going on as well, at least in terms of a bead-bird relationship.

If the gun were going off when the "bead touched the bird" the breaks would be poor. But (in _some_ cases, remember that!) the breaks are great. So the gun must be going off when it is pointing to shoot below that. They tell me that it seems to them they are pointing right at the bird, but most allow that it can't be the case, but rather just seems that way.

Maybe your situation is the same sort of thing, but left/right. It seems to you you are shooting right at it but in fact you are shooting eight inches to the right but, I wonder, as long as you can keep the "seeming" consistent, what's the harm?

My advice is to shoot what ever way you get non-disappointing results, whatever that requires.

All this analyzing change, of course, when I hear what you meant by "disappointing."

There are ways, depending on your shooting style, do do some "checking" just to see whether you have it about right now. That's for later, though.

Neil

14. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Well,let's see. Been doing this for 40 years. Gun companies a lot longer. They all use 40 yards for reporting choking %. Anyone know why?? I would suggest you pattern at the distance you break the targets. Say maybe 33-35 yds for singles/doubles & 45 yards for 27 yarder's. 22-25 for skeet. Now this will not give you a true pattern because the shot string IS 3 dimentional. But you will have a hint of the holes plus a pretty good POI. Get 2 6' 3/8" pieces of rebar. Hammer them into the ground about 3' apart. Go to auto body/glass/TV-appliance shops. They have large boxes. Cut the size of board you need,3' x 3' maybe a bit bigger. Fasten each side to a rebar with some snap clothespins. Use a 3" orange target dot & outline around the dot to reuse or if it comes off. . Write your info in one upper corner. This tells you the up direction. I like to shoot from a bench,holding the gun to my shoulder,resting my hand on a rifle rest. I shoot a perfectly flat rib,bead touching bottom of the dot. This makes it always repeatable. You don't need to count pellet holes or quadrent. It is easy to see where the center is at & the holes are. 1 shot per sheet. Do you fire 3 shots at each target thrown in an ATA/NSSA event??

15. Buster1652

Buster1652 Member

Such great information.

Greatest forum on the web! With out a doubt

Thanks

Art

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.