1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pattern Board information

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Patriot, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patriot

Patriot TS Member

Need some help with pattern board information. We have just completed a steel backed pattern board and want to use the grease / paint combination, but we aren't sure of the mix ratios. We used the greased pattern board during the Grand last year and it was great.Would appreciate any information from those using this type of board to check their patterns.

Thanks
    Norm B.

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

What you need to do is put a hole in the sheet for a point to aim at, then just regular grease will work and show up well ... The "Grease sheet" up at Ben Avery don't have any paint in it and it works great ... Whats with the paint anyway, sounds like all that would do would be create a mess ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I use about 15% white oil base paint 85% grease. Don't use water base paint if your in an area that freezes. It's not a big deal just add paint and mix till it's white.

The white paint makes the pellet marks show up alot better, but it gets dirty over time and new paint has to be added.

We used white spray paint without grease for a while, but takes more paint than you can imagine.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have never been able to figure out what information can be gained from a steel pattern board. For me to get an idea of how a load patterns, I need to carefully look at 10 patterns of the load, draw circles around the centers and count a lot of holes.

Pat Ireland

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Pat,

Think "Point of Impact" versus "Point of Aim" and all the mystery will be erased ... To count pellet holes in a piece of paper means nothing because there are no two shells that will pattern exactly alike ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. FAT-BOY

FAT-BOY TS Member

We use a white dot for point of aim and regular grease . no problems.

Bobby

7. checker

checker Member

Point of Impact is just that......where does it hit, it's that simple. No circle around the pattern or pellet hole/splat count is necessary.......that's load evaluation/performance.

[​IMG]

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

checker- I agree with what you posted but will add that POI should be determined by shooting from a rest at a target 13 yards away. I would not want to do that if the target is steel.

Pat Ireland

9. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

Our Club put up a steel pattern board last summer, and we use white lithium grease that we buy at an auto supply store for about 5:00 dollars a tub. We're still on our first tub. We discussed the issue of richochet's, and decided on a 10-15 degree downward tilt to address that problem. So far so good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.