1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pattern Board information

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hoffman06, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Recently there was a very good post on using a pattern board to show the point of impact. I can't find it, can some of you computer guys help me out.
    Thanks Carey

2. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

It was the one that had a nice picture of someones pattern board and a lot of info on checking the point of impact and the distances to shoot.
    Carey

3. setter

setter Member

I think this may be the one.

4. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Thanks Setter, I am setting one up at at our club in Orofino Id. I think our donated piece of plate steel may be a bit over kill though 4' by 6', 1/2", 441 pounds of T1. Now we just have to lift it and bolt to the post.
    Carey

5. Mark S

Mark S TS Member

Just a couple of suggestions. Our board was about the same size. It is not overkill. The board is big enough so you can see most of the flyers, if you have any. Also the thickness and type 1/2 inch (T 1)will guard aginst the board being damaged if some idiot shoots it with something besides trap rounds.

Our board weighed over 500 lbs. We found that bolting the plate to the posts before putting it in the ground was much easier than putting the posts in first and them trying to get everything level while the plate is suspended in the air. We wrapped a chain around the plate and posts, as a completed unit, and lifted it with the front end loader of tractor and lowered it into the holes.

Also I would install the plate and posts with a few degrees of tilt toward the firing line. This will keep any ricochet pellets from coming back directly at the firing line. Some people like to pattern from 15 or 20 yards and the pellets will definitely bounce back this far. They are flattened and spent, but they can come back that far.
    Good Luck,
    Mark S

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Zardoz- I shoot all of my pattern tests and POI tests on paper targets. To get any analysis of a pattern, I need ten patterns shot on something I can take home and spend 1-2 hours counting or photographing and entering into a computer program. I don't feel like carrying ten 400 pound sheets of steel home in my car.

Pat Ireland

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Zardoz- That was the gun that Bumsted had Tom W. tune the barrel just right so he could load fertilizer in his shells and shoot them over his corn fields. It throws a beautiful pattern using 10-10-10 fertilizer but I am not sure about lead shot.

I do hope your shoulder recovers. Both me and your squad missed you at the Dixie Grand and we hope to pester you at the Southern Grand next month.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.