1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

pattern a shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by il shooter, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. il shooter

il shooter Member

When pattern does it go along with fiting a gun to you or how many pellets in a certain area ? thanks

2. il shooter

il shooter Member

When pattern does it go along with fiting a gun to you or how many pellets in a certain area ? thanks

3. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Shooter, I think you need to reread your post and restate your question. Not sure exactly what you're asking here.

Steve

4. willing

willing Member

Patterning is normally done to determine the proper number and spread of pellets on a given target. Normally done at the same distance that you plan/attempt to hopefully hit the target.

Bill

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pattern your shotgun at 13 yards with a full choke. If it shoots 3 inches high and is dead on left and right, you are good to go. HMB

6. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I believe (just my opinion) patterning a shotgun is the kiss of death. You can tell by how hard you break extreme angles from posts 1 & 5 by shooting your gun. I bought 1 BT-99 years ago from Umburger Stocks at the Grand (in Vandalia); fired 1 round tryout round with it and bought it. That was 20 years ago and still using it today. Never patterned it. I've seen guys go to the pattern board frequently and are the most confused as to where the gun actually shoots and have repeated this process with the same gun for years. If you're going to do that, I believe better to go to the rifle range, mark of 32 & 40 yds. and shoot 10 at each target from resting the gun on sand bags with using a high target stand; you'll see a concentration of pellets and by taking 10 shots the sampling will be more accurate. Just my opinion. BT100dc

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Excellent video of how to do it, EFO! Putting a bead on the target does nothing for the the fitting of a shotgun shooter, on a pattern board. If the gun fits, there really is no reason to ever look at the bead, even when "Patterning" a shotgun.

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

13 yards will a full choke will show your POI, not a pattern. Do your patterns at 35-40 yards.

Wayne

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Ole Wayne got it right. One for the Hoosiers

10. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

After counting zillions of pellet holes,I have just gone to shooting my guns at 13yds. to make sure they are not shooting left or right and to get the desired height that I want it to shoot.

Good shooting,
    Steve

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

He wanted to know where the pattern was located. That's called POI. HMB

12. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

16 yds. 1" @ pattern board = 1/8" @ comb.

13. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

For EACH and EVERY DISTANCE and choke the pattern will change. It, the pattern will tell you almost exactly where the heaviest concentration of pellets are. Only lunatics, me, will do this at each distance will also change chokes and paper for each shot. This is good info to have IMO. Lee

14. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Pellet distribution in a pattern is completely random. Patterning to determine pellet distribution is a pointless activity because no 2 patterns will ever be the same.

Keller

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

You guys sound as though there isn't any bad full chokes and all are equal? Not hardly.

Hap

16. crusha

crusha TS Member

Wow...Neil must not have understood the question?

17. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Most of the shooters I know pattern their guns by just shooting them and trying different chokes. I don't know if this the right or wrong way, it just is. I patterned my adjustable rib for poi at 35 yards using a board and paper. Bill

18. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

I think patterning a shotgun is a hold over from rifle scope zeroing. The best (most informative) rifle shooting is done from a bench rest with the fixed rifle firmly supported to negate movement.

But seemingly all shotgun experts say to hold the shotgun in a standing position WITHOUT any fixed support when patterning. (?) Whether done at 3 feet or 30 yards, what value is there if the shotgun is NOT stable and free to move when the trigger is pulled? Are we testing the gun or the shooter?

I think the shooter should be taken out of the picture when testing the gun.

I also question whether the the shot spread can be extrapolated from one distance to another. That assumes the shot spread rate is a constant, straight line. Is it?

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

A patterning board is way over rated as a tool to determine where your gun SHOULD shoot on a moving target.

20. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

There are only two times that you should ever pattern a shotgun:

(1) Before you decide whether to buy it.

(2) Before you decide whether to sell it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to pattern a shotgun

how to pattern a shotgun for trap

how to pattern a trap shotgun
how to pattern shotgun
pattern a shotgun
pattern a shotgun for trap shooting
pattern shotgun
what thread pattern are chokes for br99 shotgun