1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Patriot vs Spolar

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by stuka, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stuka

stuka Member

Which one to buy? How does the new Patriot by Ponsness Warren compare to the Spolar Gold in functionality. I know the price is $350 different.

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Difficult to compare as the Patriot has no history [brand new]. I have had experience with both brands for several years... for my $$$'s I would buy the Spolar. Not ctirtical of the P/W, just my preference after loading with a 900 and a 2000 Platinum and now a Spolar. I like the Spolar powder bushings [Horndays] and the efficiency of the Spolar. The Spolar needs so little adjustment.

Would love to hear some reviews of the reloaders with the Patriot. Fred

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

A friend of mine and I sold all our 9000s and both bought 800+ P/Ws w/ die sets for all the gauges. After less than 6 months, we were both back to 9000s. If the difference is $350, its a NO BRAINER to get the Spolar. That would be my only consideration if I were to move away from MECs again.

4. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I have a PW 2000 and a Spolar. There is no comparison in my opinion.
    Have the PW setup for 7/8 only.
    Spolar I load 1oz and 1 1/8oz. Spolar just keeps on cranking.
    When I got my Spolar I told Dicksie it was like comparing a Briggs & Stratton
    to a Cummins!
    That opinion still stands.
    Is there anything wrong with my PW 2000, no. Just needs more adjustments
    and is not as smooth.
    Haven't the Patriot, but I imagine it's still not as smooth as the Spolar.

Mike C.
    Groveland,CA

5. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

This is probably like gun brand and women...one size does not fit all.

I have Spolar 2225 with hydraulic...love it. It has been a great tool, and the only issues have been self inflicted and minor (thank goodness). The lack of the shell feeder that Dicksie says they will never have prompted me to try the Patriot when I needed to put together another rig. Spolar service has been A+. The infamous PW support has surprisingly been excellent as well when I have had questions.

The Patriot so far has been terrific. It is very new (mine is #16, and I think guys like Whiz and other dealers got their units early), so I have only loaded maybe a dozen boxes on it so far....well probably more than that. Part of it was waiting to detail my bench out (hole for shell drop) and accessories I need to bring down from Reno.

I used the Patriot manually for a couple of boxes, worked great. I was amazed the powder and shot drops were extremely consistent since I was pulling the handle (not my best attribute). I then added the electric drive in, got the clutch adjusted, and really liked it. Loaded up a few boxes putting the shells in myself. Shell feeder was last, and it went smoothly. I have adjusted the chain twice now since for whatever reason it stretched quite a bit not getting the shell all the way in the first station. Everything works great, no issues at all. First thing I noticed was for me personally the crimp is better on the Patriot. Why I have no idea, as both Spolar and Patriot are set as they came out of the box. I only load STS and Nitro hulls.

My last two missing pieces which are minor are a Mec ez-pak to use for boxing and inspecting while I do that, and PVC in the 4-1/8 hole I put in my new bench where the electric drop is. That will direct the shells straight down into a tote with a thick foam rubber cushion on wheels so I can roll it out for easy packing of boxes. It can get heavy...

So, I am probably one of the few with both units, and both are great. Spolar no doubt is fabulous with the CNC machine work. The Patriot is very new, but first impressions are I have lost little over Spolar, and gained a terrific shell feeder and electric drive. It has bearings in the bottom like Spolar, and no shell, you get no powder or shot. Neat piece of engineering I think. I love the electric since it takes short stroking the hydraulic when you get in a hurry off the table. It makes a full rotation regardless of where you stop it, unless you hit reverse for some reason. I don't load for speed, could not tell you how many shells either unit makes per hour, and I might be slow. I know I can churn out shells faster than I can shoot them, and to me they are far superior to factory of any brand and that is with both units.

So, it is a Chevy / Ford issue...or perhaps Lexus / Mercedes issue since both loaders are the top product in their group. If Shell Feeder is not something on your radar screen, it would make it a tough call for me, so I will just keep one of each for now.

6. claykiller

claykiller Member

No comparison, Spolar puts any PW to shame.

7. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

I can only speak from my experiences with the 800B, 800 Plus & 900 series I have owned, comparing them to my Spolar. For the price difference buy a Spolar.

8. OldFalGuy

OldFalGuy TS Member

Nice to hear there is another new loader on the market-
    I have been thinking about one just to load 28g-
    I know I don't shoot enough to justify it, must be a hobby thang!
    I was thinking Spolar not knowing it did not have a shell feed- thats too bad
    Hope to read more about the Patriot but I like what I read here about Spolar not needing a bunch of adjustments once setup properly.

9. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Spolar is a cut above PW. I have owned both, and also Mecs, etc.

With the hydraulics, Spolar just pumps out one beautiful shell after the other.

With all four heads, I load all gauges without a skip, or adjustments. Takes about 10 minutes to set up a new head.

As for the lack of a shell feeder, I just set a bucket of shells and a bucket of wads side by side, and its good for me.

Both have good service with Dicksie and Whiz.

Just my opinion,

Dave

10. zagijimzoo

zagijimzoo TS Member

just started reloading and bought a 800plus. just add shot, powder and primers and this machine just cranks them out! no adjusts after about 5000 reloads!
    customer service is excellent! when i first started reloading I spilled shot/powder every where and took out the dies and forgot a die locating pin. It missaligned and bent the primer shaft. Called PW and sent it back to them and a week later got it replaced at no cost! crimps are excellent! primers feed with no hangups! I like the easy drain selector levers to empty shot/powder when changing shot loads. Shot/powder bushings are way easy to change. Just drain bins and remove the top bin assy. Change out bushings, put bins back on and load shot/powder. Crank lever! I think the noisy primer feed on the spolar would be annoying. 800plus all the way! save your money for shot :)

11. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

As I originally posted, I have had them all, and currently have a Spolar and Patriot, so I am in a unique position to compare units. Had an 800+ previous to Spolar. Spolar is running hydraulic from Spolar, Patriot is electric. I am currently in Reno at Hot August Nights and just used the Spolar.

You can't really compare the 800+ to the Spolar...no bearings compared to Spolar. Patriot is a notch above in smooth operation with them, and the top end is completely different.

Both are excellent.....and the Patriot so far has been terrific. Perfect....neither are, but then again, I am not either. But both will crank out mountains of shells without effort. I love the shell feeder on the PW, but as I said before, it would become a more difficult choice if you do not care about the feeder.

12. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I have a 800+ and can't understand what everyone means by all the adjusting. The only thing I've seen that needs to be done after its set up is routine maintenance.

Is this something that the Spolar doesn't need?

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

likes-to-shoot, the Spolar comes pre-adjusted per customer specs, the PW does not. That is apparently quite a challange for some. After the PW is adjusted, I have found no need for further adjusting.

14. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I thought they were meaning the PW needed adjustments all the time which I found not to be the case.

I guess there are people who are just meant to buy new and not enjoy the satisfaction of doing things with your own hands.

15. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

likes-to-shoot , probably have those people too, you know, the ones that always have a set of allen wrenches in their pocket.

16. soup

soup Member

17. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

zagijimzoo stated above;

"....Shot/powder bushings are way easy to change. Just drain bins and remove the top bin assy. Change out bushings, put bins back on and load shot/powder....."

My question is why would you drain the shot and powder, and remove the top plate when changing bushings on the 800+?

By placing the operating lever in the down position with the machine head up changing the bushings only requires removing the bushing covers and changing bushings. Dumping shot and powder and removing the top plate is not required. With the new correct bushing in hand it requires maybe 10 seconds to change a bushing.

Michael Stephenson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

patriot vs spolar reloader

ponsness warren patriot vs spolar

ponsness warren patriot vs spoler

spolar gold or posness warren patriot

spolar gold reviews