1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Patents

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by halfmile, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You need a patent attorney.

Also a good description, drawings, and preferably a working model.

Your patent attorney will do a search to make sure you do not infringe on an existing patent.

You can do a search on your own at the above link.

HM

2. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

DANFAM,

I used to give informational talks for Inventors Workshop International.
    The very first thing that you need is a good patent search; it is amazing what has already been patented. You can do a preliminary search yourself. I didn’t have a computer when I was doing mine and used the Patent Library in the main library in downtown Los Angeles. Many main city libraries have patent rooms; the librarians in them are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Doing it yourself is not difficult and it accomplishes two very important things for you, 1. If your item has already been patented, and you find it, you will save yourself some money. 2nd and more important to my way of thinking is you will see amazing inventions in the patent books, very important patented inventions that people spent good money on patenting that nevermade it to market or that did not stay on the market for long for oblivious reasons. Some of the things that I found; a foot scrubber that you attach of one foot, so you can just rub the bottom of your other foot on it and get it clean when you in the shower and you don’t have to bend over! Or the circular measurer that helps you measure the circumference of trouser legs.... there were some doozies...get my point!

The second, or maybe even the first thing that you need is good market research to see if your idea is really something that is needed and whether or not people will buy it. I can give you some ideas on what encompasses a good preliminary market research that you can do your self but you start with the correct mind set.
    Dicksie Spolar

3. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Google PantentStorm, type in your idea to do your own search. Look at all patents listed that relate in any way before you spend money with an attorney. Patent Storm is hands down the best and most concise and easiest source to begin your own search. Once you understand what a patent attorney does to do a search, it's not hard to do yourself, just time consuming. Each related patent you bring up will have new patents numbers listed...so you have to follow each one 'till you've looked at all of them. You also need to understand the rules regarding variations in design or function to existing patents which will alow you to move forward. Once you have researched, and consider that your idea is patentable, then the real work starts. If you don't have cad...hire an attorney or patent service to proceed past the search stage.

Good luck, you can do it yourself. Beware of services that want the majority ownership in return for working on your behalf...better to pay a one time attorney fee and thus own the rights yourself...

milt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.