1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Patch on Shooting Lens ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I talked to a shooter a few days ago and noted that he had a small piece of tape covering a portion of his left lens. He told me that this has helped him to focus in on the target. Does anyone do this and/or know the reason why? I thought it might be that his dominant eye was his left eye and that is why he did it. (He was a right handed shooter). He said his dominant eye was his right eye; but it helped him to better focus on the target. Thanks Ed

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The sight picture (barrel bead and target) is definitely more positive (less transparent) when the off shoulder eye is blocked with tape to prevent seeing the bead. The drawback is that you must develop a one eyed shooters lower gun hold over the trap house because even a small patch of tape wipes out a big area of view. It is a good idea if you experience occasional not consistent crossfire with unexplained mystery misses at targets that should have smoked.

3. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I don't need a dot but I know a few guys who do so at their urging I tried one one day to see what it was like. One of them spent about 15 minutes fitting me with the thing so it was the right size and in the right place. I didn't notice any real difference until I got the first hard left. The target went behind the dot and I never did find it until it was gone. I tend to follow a target with my eyes for a second or two before I swing onto it and the dot ruined my left angles.

Mike

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The following quote is from Phil Kiner's excellent article in Trap & Field.

"I have one strong disagreement regarding prevalent theory and the tape or dot. Theory says smaller is better and that is not necessarily the case. There are varying degrees of cross dominance and the stronger the cross over the more tape or wider dots you need. Period! I don’t care what theory says!! In these instances theory is absolutely wrong. For a lot of the shooters that have tried the tape or dot and it has not worked it could be because of improper placement or not enough coverage. If you tried the tape or dot and it didn’t work it is worth trying again but covering more of the eye."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.