1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PAT TRAPS IN COLD WEATHER

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by break25, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. break25

break25 TS Member

It was suggested to me that the fluid should be thinned when being used in cold weather. But, I forgot what with and about how much. Does anyone know?

CHAZZ

2. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I don't thin the hydraulic fluid! I just turn the trap on for abut 30 mins prior to shooting and that warms the hydraulic fluid sufficiently and I have had no problems.

Glad warm weather is nearly here.

Allen

3. smp005

smp005 Member

No thinning - just fire them up and let them warm up for 30 min or so... I can vouch for down to 4 degrees - the pump moans a bit at first but our worked flawlessly at 4 degrees this past winter..

4. tj303

tj303 Member

I have seen terrible targets from Pat-traps in temperatures at or below zero degrees Fahrenheit unless the traps are heated. TJ

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Put an electric heater in the trap house. HMB

6. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I had called Pat-Trap on this because mine would keep throwing targets automatically until heated up. They said to adjust the tension on the arm, essentially holding back the arm a little more. Problem stopped. They're in New Hampshire, they make and test them all winter long. Dave T.

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

We try to let them run a bit before we begin shooting. Otherwise, you get some weird targets for a while.

8. break25

break25 TS Member

We have been using heaters, but they only heat the AIR and costing electric.
    Thinking of using the elecrical tape that they use to thaw pipes around the lines.
    Any more ideas?

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We insulated the houses and put milk house heaters on a timer. Styrofoam board was cheap, and it worked out fine.

There was initially a reccomendation to thin the fluid by half with auto transmission fluid.

We like the heater, because the birds break a little easier also.

HM

10. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

We use heat tape.

11. break25

break25 TS Member

BucPride29. What parts did you wrap? Of course the hoses anything else?

Chazz

12. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Get you a couple of magnetic engine block heaters, J. C. Whitney used to sell them. Our oldest pat trap came with transmission fluid thinned with kerosene. Pat Trap said to now use Mobil 1 0W-15, I believe...Bill

13. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

We seem to be more fortunate than the rest of you. We have 4 GMV Superstars, and just turn them on and start throwing targets! no muss, no fuss, no oil, no warming up. no helicoptering. etc. I guess we are just plain lucky.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

14. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

We tried heaters. Members put them too close and melted the plastic oil tank.
    Now we let it warm up 15 minutes. Dave T.

15. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

We have 14 Pats and only a couple will windmill when first turned on. If we let them warm a bit none will. We used to have 4 of those great GMV's but after spending hours trying to figure out why they kept breaking targets we sold them to another club. Now we don't have all those broken targets and I get to shoot more.

One day, just as for fun, I turned on one of our traps and walked back to plug in the pull cord and walked back and cocked the machine and threw a few birds. It worked flawlessly. Temp at the time? -15 and that was at 2 in the afternoon. In all machines, you get the bad and you get the good.

Rickyd.....shoot well and have fun

16. break25

break25 TS Member

Ajax, Thanks for your Tip. We went to the manual and turned to the Temperature/Release Time page. We have both Old and New models.

QUESTION : After adjusting the switch. What happens when the machine warms up,
    do you have to re-adjust the switches again?

Bill1949, How are you doing with the Mobil 1 0W-15. Is that all in the tank and runing the machine?

Chazz

17. SR1

SR1 TS Member

We put a tarp over the trap and run a 100 watt light under it and this works great. The temps in our area are from -20 to 20 for most of the winter.

18. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Chazz the Mobil 1 is working well, even in our older Pat Trap...Bill

19. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Chazz,
    When it warms back up you will want to readjust that, otherwise you will continue to get slow pulls.

Rick

20. break25

break25 TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pat traps that wont work in cold weather