1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pat trap wild doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rayster27, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rayster27

Rayster27 TS Member

Our club has 4 pat traps. They range in age of 3 to six year old.
    Lately 2 of our traps have started throwing one of the doubles targets
    high even after we have adjusted the curved bars at the rear of the machines.
    We have never had this problem before. It is usually the left target that
    launches high. We recently installed a second brush,as recommended to all
    4 traps. Single targets are excellent.
    Any suggestions out there, guys.Would appreciate any help you can give us.

Thanks.
    Rayster27

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Does this happen on every pair or random? Chips under the finger, condition of the arm rubber, arm bent, target being pinched, target deposits on the plate?

3. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

The only target that is adjustable on doubles is the right target.As320090T suggested check for chips ect ect. The doubles finger will raise or lower the right bird by pushing forward or moving back. Are you getting an outlaw right on singles from time to time as well? if so your machines are out of time.

Dennis

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Is this cold weather related? Fred

5. setter

setter Member

Rayster27,

Where is your club located?

Inspect the rubber on the throw arm and look for a depressed area where the throw arm engages the singles target. Also check for roughness. If this be the case its time to replace the rubber on the throw arm. I always send these to Pat-Trap, they do it for around $22. One might be able to adjust the height of the throw arm and cure this condition as well. In any event, this condition (intermittent, errant, high left target on doubles) is caused by the throw arm catching the leading edge of the front target. I would also inspect the "doubles finger", insure that it is snug, provides the proper clearance, and is level in its relationship to the throw plate.

File 13 the second brush.

Jim

6. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

I wounder if your singles finger is out of adjustment? If you put a staright edge on the singles finger it should line up with the elevator openings far edge. The rubber on the arm should be 1/2" off the plate all the way back. I use a piece of 1/2 bar stock as a measure. Your doubles finger should be I believe 10" long. Chuck or Mike at Golden West Ind. or who ever is your Pat trap dealer would have some input here. Ive never heard of not being able to level the pair with the doubles finger. But that don't mean anything really, LOL. One thing you could also do is swap arms out with one of your machines that is working right. If that fixes it Jim makes a good point that the rubber is worn. Or the arm is bent. This can happen as well. As I recall moving the doubles finger forward raises the right bird and pulling back lowers it. It don't take much either way to make a difference. Ide be interested in knowing what fixes it,would help me if I ever run into this problem.
    Let me know.

Dennis

7. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Rayster27,

The rubber on the throwing arm wore or part of the end missing will result in bad targets. If this is not the case then check the dimensions on the distance from the front of the singles finger to the front edge of the doubles finger (rear part of this or left side if you are in the house looking at the machine) this dimension should be 4 3/8 inches and the doubles throwing arm should be 7/8 of an inch from the back of the arm to the rear of the plate on the right side looking at the machine.This is a starting place for adjusting the pair, You can move it to the rear, toward yourself and lower the right target or push in to raise the right target. Only move in small amounts til you get the proper height and level the pair.

good luck

Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.