1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pat Trap vs Promatic

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by missemucho, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missemucho

missemucho Member

I'm about to approach our BOD about buying two new trap machines. At present we have two Pat Traps, one with wobble feature (which we seldom use). Our primary machine has about 1.2 million birds thrown and the #2 probably has 400k. We throw about 150k a year on the primary and 50k on #2.

I ran a search on alternatives to Pat but there wasn't much about Promatic. I'm interested in hearing from anyone that has experience with both machines. I know most shooters automatically say "Pat Trap" but I need real life experiences.

Sporting Clays at our club is pushing me to buy Promatic because they just replaced their old machines with them and have a semi-annual maintenance agreement with the company they purchased them from. This company is reasonably close to our club (MO and we're in NC Arkansas) so they would be convenient in case of problems. My concern is I have no experience with these machines and our primary thrower will toss more birds in a month than their individual machines will in a year.

The machines look good in their brochure and I like the idea of all electric
    (no hydraulics to warm up in the winter). Promatic is a little cheaper to buy but that's not a big issue.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    John

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

We switched from Pat traps to GMV Super Stars. Nothing to warmup in the winter. Throws both singles and doubles and is fully adjustable.

We use Promatics on our Sporting Clays course. HMB

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The winter warm up for Pat traps doesn't need to be an issue. A small space heater on a timer solves that problem. A piece of 2" foam insulation on the inside of access panel will keep the power bill for this reasonable.

The other factor you my want to consider is commonality. What machines are other clubs in your area using? If they are mostly Pats then there is your answer. Having spare machines/parts/experienced operators in the area is a nice security blanket for the 'what if' scenarios.

4. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

John, at Sedalia R & G Club we have both. Our two original fields have Pat's and the four fields we use for registered events have Pro-matics. Most of the time we use traps 1 & 2 for practice and derbys on Wed. and Sun. These traps are Pro-matics and perform near flawlessly. We throw 2+ or - trailer loads of targets per year. After some initial problems were ironed out we have less trouble with the Pro-matics than with the Pats.

Buz

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My take would be the Pat machine will throw more targets per maintenance dollar.

Promatics are nice but I don't think they have the longevity.

HM

6. missemucho

missemucho Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
laporte vs promatic

promatic verses laporte