1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PAT-TRAP throwing canted birds

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Voolfie, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

I've looked at my owner's manual and can't find any mention of how to fix this. Does anyone have any ideas about how to remedy this situation? I tried contacting Pat-Trap, but my email got bounced back.

2. BT-99MAX

BT-99MAX Member

Take a look at the rubber on the throwing arm. If the rubber is "glazed" the target doesn't get the proper spin. Try sanding the rubber to "rough" it up a little.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

There is a small finger like bar on the back of the machine that you pull out or push in slightly to adjust that problem. This adjustment is also what you use to level out the birds when throwing doubles. It is one of those things that is much easier to demonstrate than explain in writing.

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I would think the throwing deck needs to be adjusted. If the birds are canted when they come off the trap and off to the right, the deck needs to be brought up on that side. There is a adjustment bolt behind the control box on the back of the machine. It takes a 3/4 size wrench. Put a 2X4 under the throwing deck, loosen the nut and lift. It's better with two guys. If it's all the way up you may have to shim the base of the trap. The factory usually has 1/4 inch difference between the throwing deck and the base but with some brand of targets it's not enough.

If the birds are coming out level and curling at the end of the flight you normally have a spin problem.

BTW the little arm on the back of the deck is for setting the right bird for doubles. It doesn't come in contact with the singles bird.

Ajax

5. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Unless Pat Trap has changed in the last couple years Ajax is correct about the
    finger on the back of the Pat Trap. It is only for adjusting the hieght of the right bird in doubles. Your best off to change out the rubber O rings after insuring the trap is level side to side. Post-2

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Level the base, NOT the launch plate.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Leveling the base is much simpler than leveling the deck. A few shims will do it. But, use caution especially this time of year or early in the morning any time of the year. With the Sun at a low angle a shadow will be cast on one side of the bird. This can make a level target appear canted.

Adjusting the finger can help level the bird. Pushing it forward just a little will raise the right side of the bird. The finger should be adjusted so you can move it a little without loosening the bolt that holds the finger. I would not use this method. It is best saved for leveling the doubles targets.

On target curl-- If the PAT Trap, or any other trap does not throw a bird that begins to curl a few feet just before it lands, it is no putting adequate spin on the bird. They should curl because of spin, just as a curve ball thrown by a good pitcher.

Pat Ireland

8. trapboy8769

trapboy8769 TS Member

i agree with yoda100 also to check this u can look from the side of the trap house at the targets and throw a few targets. it could just be a shadow of the target your seeing. we had this at my local club.

Matt

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

It can be a total illusion, as posted above.

10. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

I have had countless numbers of shooters tell me the target is canted when it really is a shadow. I look at the bottom of the target. That will tell you if the target is flat! Those diagonal shadows can be deceiving!

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how do trap machines throw curved targets

how to level pat trap

pat trap keeps throwing birds

pat trap left birds

pat trap sales in de

pat trap target spin