1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pat-Trap Throw arm rubber replacement

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jchild1015, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jchild1015

jchild1015 TS Member

Can anyone provide instructions on how to replace the rubber insert on the throwing arm for Pat-Traps. Model is SW series.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Pat Childers
    Myrtle Grove Gun Club

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

buy another arm

HM

3. MOP

MOP Active Member

Send it to Pat-trap for replacement. The cost is minimal. If you want no down time, buy a second arm and rotate them when rubber wears out.

4. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

What MOP said------- buy a new one - replace the one on the machine and send the other for repair....then you will have a spare

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

They are pressed in. We have replacement rubbers that we got from Pat Trap. I use a vice, and clamp on the old one and pull it out of the groove. Take the new one and start one end in the groove and them use the vice to press the new one in. It is important to get it fully seated, evenly, so there are no waves, when looking down the edge of the rubber insert. The first time, like anything else, takes a little while after that, it's an easy swap. You can also, pull the old one out and turn it over, so that you are exposing the under side, and get twice the use out of it. Mark

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I put the arm in a vice, pull out the old strip with Vice Grips. Then, I use a steel brush to get burrs and stuff off the grooves that hold the strip in.

Vaseline works well, rubbed on the strip. thread the leading edge of the strip to the inside of the arm. Then, I hold the arm on the flat part of the vice, and tap in the strip with a mallet.

After strip is in, I take the Vice Grips, pinch the new strip and tap it with the mallet to make sure the strip is firm against the inside edge of the arm.

Some folks trim the strip, but if it is properly installed, it seldom needs trimming. As was said, when fully seated, there will be no ripples in the strip.

All this takes about 5 minutes. With this said, have a spare, and when you change them out (usually during a shoot with folks wanting to shoot), replace the strip soonest to have a spare ready for the next emergency.

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

This is good info guys but how do you line up the new arm to height when putting it back on the machine? Thanks

8. Oregunner

See where the old arm sits in relation to a bird sitting on the plate, and install the new arm so it hits the bird the same way. Mark

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Mainly make sure cut out in arm will clear doubles finger. If this is right, and arm is not bent, height will be about right.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The top part of the rubber should be just a little above the step in the target, in other words not quite making full contact with the target.

this was in an older manual, I forget if it was the Remmy 4100 or another machine.

HM

11. mike calkins

mike calkins TS Member

On our old beo-mats We used a square block to sand the face of the rubber when it got rough and are able to prolong the life of the rubber by quite a bit. We bought a Pat trap and was wondering if the same procedure would work with them? Mike

12. Oregunner

I have done that before. Can't say I saw a lot of difference, but it can't hurt. Mark

13. 34model12

34model12 Member

As Shooting coach & oregunner have said but I go one step further. After I'm sure the rubber is all the way down the groove and at the bottom of the square tube arm I hold the face of the rubber onto a 24" X 6" belt sander to make sure the driving surface is perfectly flat. Any bumps in that rubber surface will have an effect on the bird & it's flight if it's not flat & straight.

Tom Boyd

14. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

What's a new arm cost? Dave T.

15. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I'm with Tom Boyd on this one. It really needs to be staight.

Rick in MT

16. illtrap1

illtrap1 Member

I bought a new arm as a spare sending in old one Lettingthem do it for less down time.Dan

17. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I believe a new arm is $135 plus shipping.

18. jchild1015

jchild1015 TS Member

Many thanks for responses to my query. Have all the info I need now.
    Thanks Again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

auto trap rubber strip

auto trap throwing arm rubber strips

installing pat trap throw arm

pat trap new throwing arm

pat trap tension band

replacing the throw arm rubber on the pat trap

throwing arm rubbers