1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pat Trap Stainless Steel Plate

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rick979, Feb 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick979

rick979 Active Member

With the Pat Trap's plate subject to severe rust and corosion why has no one built a stainless steel one? This would be a sure money maker!!!!

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Be a pain in the butt to change but worth it?

3. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Beleive it or not Stainless Steel will rust (corrode) Try to find a way for the base to mount where air can get under it or a way to completely seal it off from moisture and air. Sitting on a piece of concrete gets moisture trapped under it and hastens corrosion. Stainless only will slow down the process. The higher the content of Nickel or molybdnium(sp) the slower the corrosion

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Our club had a stainless steel plate made and it has been fine. A lot of work but we think it was worth it. Golden West Inds has a more information on this.

5. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Since these traps are very expensive why doesn't the manufacturer make the plates from SS so that we don't have to treat them once a week to work well?

6. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Rick, can you go into more detail about what you have to do to treat the plates?

I live in Washington State on the West side and it rains most of the time. We have never treated them with anything. Just curious, thought maybe we are missing something.

Ajax

7. rick979

rick979 Active Member

We have to sand the rust off them,,,, what a pain in the butt!

8. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I'd love to hear more about this too. We have three Pats, and shoot bio targets. From everything I've read on this site our machines should just be a pile of rust by now. We have zero rust on our machines, and haven't had a bit of trouble with them, and have been throwing bio's for as long as we've owned them.

Scott

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Rick, what kind of weather do you have? The only time we see any rust is when is snows and then warms real quick. It has not been bad enough to cause any problems with the target, that we know of.

Ajax

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

I wonder if a High Density Polyethylene surface would work?

Don Verna

11. clayman51

clayman51 Member

we have had ours for at least 8 years. Grounds are wet most of the time in the spring and winter.Block gets wet,dampness comes through.No rust to be found on the machine.

Dennis

12. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Darn Rick, now you have me looking. We do have rust on the older s series trap we have. I had never noticed it before and evidently it does not cause any trouble. Maybe there is a difference in the material the plates are made of, or the coating on the newer G series?

Ajax

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.