1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pat Trap Rubber Tension Band Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Seitz Shooter, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seitz Shooter

Seitz Shooter Member

One of our club members stated that the Pat Trap folks recommend relieving tension on the rubber tension bands when the trap is not in use to extend the life of the tension bands.

Is anyone doing this?

While it makes sense, I'm not aware of any of the clubs in our area doing this, as it may be more trouble than it's worth.

Adios, Dirk

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

At the end of the day, we always fire the trap with the switch and then turn off the machine. This relieves the pressure from the bands and more importantly, it allows me to clean up the house without a target on the cocked arm.

I have been hit in the side of the head by a target once when I was three feet in front of the trap. I am a slow learner, but in this case, once was enough. I am lucky it hit me in the head rather than some other body part that I use a lot.

Pat Ireland

3. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

It is not a bad idea to back off the tention on the main spring's. That is the rubber springs.

I doubt that many clubs do it.

4. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Great spelling Bob !!!!

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

We always trip the arm and then back off the crank all the way to releive the tension completely on the Pats when we're done shooting for the day at Scobey, MT. I wasn't aware that Pat recommended the practice?, just seemed like a good idea......not much trouble, really. When you're back to shoot again, just crank 'em back up approximately the correct number of turns and check it with the radar gun.

John C. Saubak

6. erm

erm Member

we always do it at my club....erm

7. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

A survey of 4 clubs in the area. Only 1 club releases the tension on the rubber band. The other 3 leave them tight and just release the arm and turn off the pump when finished for the day. None could remember when the last time was that they had to replace a rubber band. Short memories or maybe it doesn't make much difference.

Regards

W&W

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.