1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pat Trap Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GunDr, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Our club has two Pats, and are experiencing something odd on the one that is 3yrs old. The guys at the club have said it's been like this since new (I never even noticed).

It appears during oscillation on the trap, it will stop more often..straight to right-hand more often than LH targets. Our manager says it's about 90/10, rights to lefts.

I've looked the book over and can see no references to the oscillation cycles. Are there switches that need adjusting?

Doug

2. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Doug, does it throw a full hard left hand target at all?

Ajax

3. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Yes it will, but very infrequently. The guys that do the pulling everyday say they could count on one hand the LH targets out of a full squad.

4. 34model12

34model12 Member

There is no user adjustments to the Pat Trap oscillation cycle. The oscillation cycles are set by the relay in the right hand cornor of the control box behind and below the throw arm deck. This relay has a small motor driving a circular disk with notchs that a small micro switch (similar to the micro switchs under the turret of the older pat trap machines) lever/wheel drop into to stop & start the oscilations. You might go out to the trap with a remote button and throw some birds while watching the machine oscilating. By throwing the birds while watching you may see that the machine is actually oscilating both left & right. If in fact it is 90/10 rights Charlie for Pat Trap can straighten this out easily. Tom Boyd, Albany Gun Club

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Tom is right but I would check my field first. To make sure it's centered. The book will show you the measurement, as you are facing the trap, from the left side of the hydraulic cylinder then from one magnet to the other.

Ajax

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

The interrupter built into the Pat Trap will cause this. It has a timer motor that causes the pause and changes direction. Located in upper right hand corner of box. Try changing out with another machine.

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I'll be checking the things everyone has mentioned on Sunday morning. But first I sit in the scorers chair on post three and throw 125 targets and keep track exactly what gets thrown.

Doug

8. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

To chime in here a bit? On centering the machine? make sure the notch on the base of the trap is on a center line of the house.We take a string from dead center 27 yardline post 3 make mark at the 16 center then all the way out to the 50 yard stake. You may have to move the 50 yard stake. once the string is properly centered from the 27 to the 16 to the stake you know the cenetrline on the house.
    The other thing is making sure your machine is squared in the house.If the house wasnt built squared to the field your machine has to to set to compensate for it. Thats a formula Ide have to send you if you want it. Tom is correct on the interrupter.
    There are numerous ones out there, I have one thats a timer. My experince is the Pat will throw more rights than lefts. On short squads? sometimes it dont act like its moving at all.

Dennis

9. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

If you want to really see some screw-ups, throw a four man squad. The interrupter is set up to function best for full squads.

Big Jack

10. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Everything is now fine. It appears that the two magnetic micros use for the field alignment were loose or loosened.

I do have another question. Are those two switches suppose to be mounted on the front side of the cylinder? This particular machine has the wobble option and the right adjustment switch's allen screw lock is located right below the vertical wobble cylinder.

We will use a ground down allen wrench to access the set screw....I hope.

Doug

11. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

If you mean the front facing the trap, from outside the trap house. Ours are, and the one magnet bracket can really be hard to get to. We use a shorten Allen wrench also.

Ajax

12. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Thanks Ajax, that's what we'll do also.

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pat trap latching relay

pat trap latching what does it do

pattrap alignment

trap machine built in timer to shut the oscillation motors down