1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

pat trap question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beni, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beni

Beni Member

My club has recently purchased a new pat trap. We are located in western new york where the winter temps range from o like this morning to around 35 or so. In owners manual it says to keep warm else you get multiple firings. We are curently trying fusable heat tapes wrapped with pipe insulation on the hydraulic lines and resevoir. Has anyone else had success with this application. beni

2. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I was associated with a club here in Pennsylvania that has four pats. Yes, winter can be changeling for these machines.

We found that: (1) Put an radiant heater, one with a circulating fan, in the trap house and TURN IT ON the night before you shoot, and (2) turn the hydraulic pump on at least one to two hours prior to shooting.

By doing this the cold weather problems were eliminated.

I might add that, on the left side of the machine (standing behind the machine and looking out over it) there is a timing adjustment switch. You may need to tweak this switch setting, refer to the manual.

Good luck.

Frank

3. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Beni,

I will add to what Frank has already mentioned. Put a witness mark on switch before you move it,that way in the spring when temps warm back up it will be easy to move it back to the original location. We find a 15 to 20 minute warm up in 20 to 30 degree temp range will be all you need to get it working, heat tapes or heaters works as well.

Dennis

4. theclaysmoker

theclaysmoker TS Member

I was told that Mobil 1 synthetic oil is best for winter shooting also.

5. Beni

Beni Member

Thanks guys heat tape had oil in resevoir at 92 deg it only took 20 min of warmup beni

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.