1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

pat trap question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beni, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beni

Beni Member

Is it possible to set targets in the morning,hitting the 50 yd. mark and 2 hours later the trap is throwing out to over 65 yds. for no apparent reason ????? beni

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

If your machine has rubber bands yes they will change when warned up. Spring wont do that.

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Grunt has the answer, I can't help beyond that. I find it hard to believe there would be that kind of change though.

4. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Too much change, you need to smack your loaders for tightening the bands.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Or the wind changed?

Don Verna

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Assuming nobody cranked up the spring;

If the spring was set in the cool of the morning and then by afternoon the air warmed up, yes....the rubber spring Pats will speed up a little, maybe 1 or 2 mph at most IME. Like Bob Hawkes tho', I doubt that it would make a 15 yard difference.

Another possibility; if the wind was blowing when they set 'em in the morning and they applied enuf' spring to put 'em to the 50 yard stake anyway..........and then the wind went down in the afternoon??

John C. Saubak

7. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I agree with the above 100%. We have seen a 1 or 2 mph gain but no more than that. I think it would take A LOT of wind to get a legal target to 60+ mph. Looks like someone is messing with your traps.

8. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

YES someone is folling with the trap, 50 to 65 yards, No Way...

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Even a tail wind wouldn't do that, normally that makes the targets fall short. But I suppose it could be just the opposite, perhaps there was a wind issue in the morning and calm later?

10. Beni

Beni Member

Thanks guys Im no expert on pat traps,thought someone was adjusting after it warmed up looks like thats the case beni

11. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

Golden West Industries makes a spring conversion thats easy to change from the rubber bands. Get a length of rubber lined fire hose and put over the spring to prevent damage if it ever breaks. I work on Pats here and at other clubs, and agree with the above. 1-2 MPH creep yes,15MPH NO WAY!!

Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.