1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pat-Trap Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pairaway, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pairaway

pairaway TS Member

One of our 'G' series traps occasionally throws what I call a lame duck right target. It will show a lot of face, be weakly thrown and go out of bounds to the right. I have replaced the brush, and the arm is in contact with the target. I have cleaned and slightly sanded the rubber on the arm. When I watch it work everything seems to be in order. The throwing table is clean and the arm is not bent. We are using WF pitch targets. Any Ideas?
    thanks....Bill

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Check the target elevator timing. Make sure it's going all the way up before the target is released onto it. If it's not the target can get out of position, Slide to the rear of the machine if it falls onto the elevator. It's adjusted by turning the small adjustable hydraulic valve at the front right of the machine.

Jim

3. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

If it os out of time, see Timing of the pinion. Have to take the chain loose and raise the turret to time it. Ray

4. setter

setter Member

Leave the hydraulic valve alone! Most G's have a mechanical elevator and since the problem is sporadic your turrent is probably out of time, the target drops on top of the "plastic finger" then when the arm comes around the target misses the brush and goes to the doubles finger. You need to advance the gear turning the turrent, Pat-Trap can fax or mail the procedure. Its not in the manual.

Jim

5. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Disregard my earlier post. I was thinking of the older sw series. Setter is probably right on the G series machine.

Jim

6. pairaway

pairaway TS Member

Thanks for the info. I would think that if it was out of time that it would do it more regularly.
    Bill

7. setter

setter Member

Actually, no. Its out of time by a small amount. The target needs to drop in front of the "plastic finger" and your machine is doing this most of the time. But every once in a while it doesn't quite make it, thus errant right. Also check that the operation of the elevator is free. Do this by turning on the machine, then turn on the switch to cock, when the elevator comes up turn the machine off -- stay clear of the throw arm -- . Machine should not be cocked. Then one can, by hand, move the elevator thru its travel and there should be free travel against the spring tension. Also check the springs, there are two, the extension spring and the compression. Insure that these are intact and not misshapen, else replace. An early "G' may not have the compression spring and this can be added (i.e. current compression spring will fit without the need for any mods).

Jim

8. PatMan

PatMan Member

Jim is right on 10 to 1 that you have a broken elevator spring. It's the spring that loads the elevator up when the cam allows it to rise during the cycle. It will probably be lying below the machine on the floor. You can form a new loop on the end or replace it. The spring is about a half inch in diameter and 3 inches long

9. pairaway

pairaway TS Member

Thanks for the info guys. It has got to be the elevator. Either a spring issue or dirty and not moving free.
    Bill

10. ThorsDad

ThorsDad TS Member

It's not in the manual wow now that is a suprise! but I would bet it is just the spring. Jay ps it is just sad they don't put out a decent trouble shooting manual so much for customer service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.