1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pat Trap Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ramorton, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Can someone help me with re-setting a Pat Trap. The field has shifted to the left. Hardly any angle on the right hand birds. The left targets are way outside the stake. The club has no manual. Thanks, Roy

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Roy, I think you can download a manual from their site. Good luck, Bob

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Where are the limit swithces on your machine located? Underneath the oscalitation cylinder on on the front of the cylinder? It makes a difference. Send me a PM. Jake

4. oddlott

oddlott Member

Check the brush that holds the target in place until the arm launches it. When they wear it causes the field of flight to shift. Dennis

5. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thanks, oddlott and j2jake. I went to their website and downloaded the page for adjustment. I know this machine needs maintenance,they never do anything to keep the machine serviced. I will go out and do it myself. All they do is load it and throw targets, plus the sporting shooters crank it up to throw targets as far as they can. This cannot be good for the unit. If I have problems, I will be in touch. Thanks again for the help and Merry Christmas. Roy

6. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

At this point would not change the setting on the limit switches on the hydraulic ram at the front of the machine. The reason being, this will change the angle of the target and NOT the field. If the limit switches are set to a two or three hole setting (the old hand set Winchester traps), than you want to correct the field or movement of the machine left and right, the oscillation.

On back of the machine there are switches for automatic or manual operation. Switch to manual and push the button to move the machine left or right, it goes quick, don’t hold it in to long. Do this until the left and right targets are EQUAL on each side of the center line of the field. Once you have established equal movement on each side of the field center line, mark the machine reference points with a black cartoon marker for future reference.

On the Pats I worked on in the past I had a small stick with a pointed end. I screwed this to the control box (be careful) and had a reference point on the machine to alight the point of the stick. Now, if someone complains about the field. I could correct any anomalies real quick.

I mentioned in the first paragraph about the spread of the targets. (Two hole, three hole, ECT.) That is another ball game that I won’t get into here, it is too lengthy (I rattled on long enough LOL).

Good luck, Frank
    )

7. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Frank what club do you work at!!?

8. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Hey Grunt. Why did you ask?

I am presently on the Trap Committee at the Manheim Sportsman's Association, Manheim, Pa. We have two GMV Superstar trap machines. I do: target setting, maintenance and mechanical repairs on these machines.

At one time I was trap chairman with the Conewago Rod & Gun Club, Elizabethtown, Pa. Conewago has four Pat traps. I also worked on these machines.

For what it is worth, I started working on trap machines back in the early 80's, working on the old hand set Winchester trap machines.

Frank

9. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Just as Frank said above:
    If the machine appears stuck in the left position, switch the oscillator switch to manual...and hit the right motion button until the machine moves back within the normal field..switch back to auto. It works when ours is stuck. usually when first turned on and the oil is cold. If that doesn't work, you may have a bad limit switch in need of replacement. Check the brush when you get a chance. Darn good machines but can be tempermental at times.

Big Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

oscalitation

pat trap stuck left