1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pat Trap problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Frank C, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Our Pat failed today, the symptoms: The arm may throw a few birds OK, but after say the third, the turret will only advance 1/2 way, after several calls, the turret will drop the bird as normal only to go thru it all again after 2 or 3 birds. We replaced the micro switch under the turret, but we didn't think it would help and it didn't. we also noticed that the "elevator" was not moving properly....one time normally, the next it'll only move a 1/2 inch, the next 1/23 way??

We checked the hyd oil and it was LOW, but not so low as to suck air and aerate the oil.... We'll be calling Pattrap tomorrow, but I am wanting to know what is wrong in advance, SO how good are all you Pat mechanics??....

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Frank, It sounds like you need to add more oil if its lower than a half inch below the lid. Also did you check the belt/pully to see that their not slipping?

3. shotgnrox

shotgnrox TS Member

give me a call @ 813-277-6543 i can help vince

4. setter

setter Member

I'm with Grunt, first thing I would check is the belt and its' tension between the electric motor and the pump.
    From your description of the switch under the turret I'm assuming that it is not direct drive. Also the keyway on the pulley's in this same area can get wallowed out allowing a pulley to slip, also check the allen bolt which holds the pulley in place.

Two other things that can cause slow operation are low voltage and the cocking valve.

P.S. Vince is the expert & I would take him up on his offer.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Vince can fix anything that is at a trap club, except me.

Pat Ireland

6. Frank C

The END OF THE STORY....We changed the oil (it was very low) purged the air from the hyd. sys. and still had an intermittent problem. we saw that about every third release was normal, but the other two would not rotate the turret all the way to cycle a bird. After testing the micro switch, we noticed that it was not making contact every time (clicking), a simple adjustment of the "length" of the switch, for lack of a better term here and we were good to go. 3 of us shot 2 rounds each in the snow/rain without ANY hiccups....

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Just curious, where did the old oil go? Leak?

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

320090T - Hydraulic fluid is one of a group of things that just disappears. No leaks obvious but just run the motor for a time and the fluid goes away.

You can prove to yourself that some things can magically disappear. Put $20 in your billfold. Buy a cup of coffee and a sandwich for $4 and wait two days. The $20 will be gone. A $20 bill and hydraulic fluid can just disappear.

Pat Ireland

9. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

It's not the oil,call Vince!!!!!!

10. Frank C

NJ Bob, did you read....it is fixed now, it was NOT the oil, but could have been if had been lower and cavitating.....

re the oil.....as Pat said, the oil just goes away, after 9 years, I can notice just a hint of clay dust sticking to some of the fittings, very little oil at a time leaks and you don't notice it!

11. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I have seen quite a few oil leaks, they are very noticable ...

12. setter

setter Member

Who know's? All the trap house Gremlins! Was doing maintenance on Pat-Traps for a club, went to test the machine I was working on and it would not cock. Well, scratched my head, decided to check the oil level first and there wasn't a drop of oil in the tank or anywhere in or around the trap house. Do you think anyone at the club had any info on what had happened? Nope! However; I can guess that someone loaned that pump and motor to another club, unit got turned over. Either that or someone's Ford was low on oil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.