1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pat Trap problem-please help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lewddt10, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lewddt10

lewddt10 TS Member

Hello! Was wondering if anyone is experiencing the same problem that we are having with our Pat Trap. While the machine is oscillating, it will sometimes lock over to one side and then freeze in that position until you turn it off and manually move it back to the center of field. This is an intermittent problem and does not happen all the time. If you have had this problem we sure would appreciate knowing what you did to fix it.
    Thank You, Jeff

2. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

It's in the hydraulic valve that controls the movement. You can choose to replace it, or put up with the problem. Seems like every valve is different.

Good luck with your problem.

Rick in Mt.

3. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

The problem stems from a limit switch on the horizonal hydralic cylinder. Call your distributor and get a replacement set. (One is normal open the other normal closed) They control the switching valve. At some point you will become unable to make the correction as you have thus far & be out of business until you replace the switch.

Big Jack

4. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Pat Trap will replace the switches at no charge if the machine isn't out of warranty. They might even do it if it is, depends on the day.

5. clayman51

clayman51 Member

I replaced both limit switches on ours, still does the same thing, so there is something to the valve going bad in the unit it`s self as mentioned above.We have just been putting up with it till the weather warms up and we can change it out.

Does anyone know if this unit can be rebuilt?

Dennis

6. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

Lewddt10.....This sounds too simple but so far it has worked EVERY time. Unplug the oscillator motor and plug it back in several times to clean up the connection pins, run the machine into center position with the manual button. Switch it back into auto and throw a bird.

Jere

7. setter

setter Member

lewddt10,

Generally this is the result of the machine oscillating past the limit switch and you will need to determine if your machine has the switches on the cylinder or on a switch bar above and rearward of the cylinder. Different switches depending. If you don't have a manual you should get one or download. Two manuals, one for SW's and one for G's. Inside the grey box there are up to 2 electronic relays plus 1 interrupter. Relays are clear and on the left, the interrupter is stainless and on the right. A sticking relay can also cause this problem.

clayman51,

Before proceeding you may want to test the switches that you installed as there was a quality control problem some time back. You can take a test meter, set to ohms, connect to a switch and pass a magnet by the switch. If its "Normally Open" you get a reading, if its "Normally Closed" the reading goes to zero. This test needs to be repeated a sufficient number of times until there is confidence in the switch.

I'm not aware of anyone rebuilding the valves. Golden West http://www.goldenwestind.com/ can rebuild the cylinders.

Jim

8. shotgnrox

shotgnrox TS Member

my name is vince valois maybe I can help give me a call 813-277-6543

9. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

lewddt10...call Vince Valois 813-277-6543, if he can't diagnose and fix your machine no one can. Our small club has dealt with Vince and you cannot find anyone more knowledgeable than Vince on Pat machines. In addition to being an expert in the truest sense of the word he is an honest and nice guy too. My opinion...Larry Lockhart.. Town and Country Gun Club Maryville, IL

10. perazzitm

perazzitm Member

At our club we had a g model that would do the same thing, contacted pat trap and ended up replacing the horizontal cylinder, right and left switches, both relays and solenoid, and guess what it still did it. It would go for months working fine and then just lock-up. We narrowed it down to wiring and found that the auto/manual switch was not making proper contact at times, it usually happened when switching over from doubles to singles on warm days. Now it works fine, sometimes it is just simple things. I have another machine doing the same thing occationally so I think I will try a $5.00 switch first.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

This has happened to us on the older machines with the arm holding the switches. These need the magnet to be in close proximity to the switch, sometimes target debris can mve the arm.

I fixed one by using a stronger door magnet from a security system instead of the factory model. (because that was what I had available)

HM

12. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

We had the same problem with one of our "G" series machines. Sounds like the same problem you're having. It would oscilate to the left and torque down. It was intermittent.

We replaced both valves on the front of the machine. No luck.

We replaced both of the limiter switches. No luck.

We adjusted the limiter switches several times, no luck.

We finally had a trained Pat trap mechanic come to the club and it stumped him also. He got Charlie from Pat trap on the phone and after about 45 minutes with a circuit tester he determined that there was no power going from the front of the machine to the back of the machine. What it turned out to be was the 2 small red switches (that control the manual left and right motion) on the panel where you set the oscilation from manual to auto had been shorted out due to a power surge. The technician said he'd seen one switch shorted out one time but NEVER both at once. We ran over to radio shack and got 2 new switches and he installed them and we've had no problem since.

This was our problem and we would have never figured it out by ourselves.

Call Vince, he posted above and believe me he's "THE MAN" who fixed ours.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
pat trap cleaning
pat trap field changing
pat trap manual
pat trap problems
pat trap stuck left

pat trap troubleshooting

pat trap troubleshooting g series
trouble shooting pat trap issues