1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**** Pat Trap Math ****

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tgt12, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgt12

tgt12 TS Member

If a Pat trap throws a left target from where ever it threw its last target will the next target be to the right?

And/or if it throws one to the right will the next target be thrown in the left direction of where it last threw a target.

1) Never

2) Maybe

3) Always

4) Sometimes

5) Don’t Know

6) Your Comments

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Pat Ireland

3. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Dennis

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The latest interruptor from Pat is the same engineering Remington had in their 4100, modified for the hydraulics.

NO human being can remember the position of the disc on the one RPM motor and predict the movement.

Buuuuuut......man, can that sucker trick you! (Just when you thought you had it dialed)

HM

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When it tricks you, take a FTF. HMB

6. tgt12

tgt12 TS Member

What hardware decides how long in time the the platform moves left and right and what piece of equipment decides if it moves left or right first?

Thanks

7. clayman51

clayman51 Member

TgT12

The new machines have a small timer/interrupter motor wired in the system. This controls the movement of the throwing plate.

Dennis

8. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

The interuppter is the same on all the traps, new and old. It's in the control box on the back of the machine and plugs into its own connector.

9. rw993

rw993 Active Member

Must take a lot of concentration to try to outwit a trap machine. I would think you could probably run a hundred just shooting the damn target with that much focus.

Do you really believe that in this era that anyone is successful reading a trap?

Shoot skeet!! you always know where they are coming from and where they are going. Nothing to it. Makes everyone in registered skeet an All-American.

Ron Wilson

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I think Pat and Dennis' "sometimes" it too conservative, far too general to be of much help. I'd say my answer: "about half the time" is a good deal more precise and so can be put to practical use.

Neil

11. halfmile

tgt12: the hardware consists of a microswitch that controls the valve on the angling cylinder. It just gives or denies power to the valve. Without the switch and associated hardware the machine would simply go back and forth.

The microswitch is operated by a camwheel disc with varying size cutouts on it which determine the time duration of the angle cylinder.

The disc is turned by a one RPM clock motor that runs all the time. However, during the firing cycle the circuit is inoperative. I believe the circuit times out if the trap is not sprung.

No human can know where the disc is due to station changes, etc. If you saw the thing you would understand.

Bird Grinder: the first Pat machines had an octal base Dayton time relay in place of the clock motor/ camwheel setup. The new system plugs into the same socket.

When the next generation of machines came to our club I recognized the old Remington system instantly.

Nice little system, does exactly what it's supposed to.

HM

12. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Good explanation HM. The newer G series machines have an improved interrupter. It's still the same synchronous motor, I believe it has an added disc with a second micro switch. It's supposed to be more unpredictable. It will plug into the older machines.

Jim

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Neil- You answered the question with "about half of the time" and Dennis and I answered "sometimes". But, the answer "sometimes" includes the answer "about half of the time". Remember those tests in school that instructed you to select the best correct answer? Sometimes covers all possibilities except none of the time. Your answer of about half of the time can be wrong sometimes, but the answer sometimes can rarely be wrong. And, just think I am starting out 2008 with a post like this. What will happen as the year progresses?

Pat Ireland

14. halfmile

Standard targets in our wobble trap.

HM

15. clayman51

clayman51 Member

I will not speak for Pat but sometimes is the answer that fits the closest. If I was to guess I would say that it is not near 1/4 of the time, but this is merely a guess. This is the the reason that one should not move his gun until he has seen a full and clear target. Agreed Neil that a rock hard answer would be of much more use but until that happen I will stick with _sometimes_. Sometimes this just has to do.

Best of shooting in 2008

Dennis