1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pat Trap Installation Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by broadway, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. broadway

broadway Member

Good day.

Getting ready to install our new Pat Trap and am just looking for some ideas from those that have done this before.

I am having a steel frame welded that will give us the recommended 43 inch clearance. The steel frame will be anchored to the floor and wall. We also have 2 GMV Super Stars and I will try to get the height of the target arm as close as possible across all 3 machines. My thinking here is to give basically the same target presentation on all 3 fields.

The Super Star came with an installation diagram and a recommended distance the machine should be from the outside of the front wall of the trap house - approximately 16 inches. I don't see anything in the Pat Trap installation diagram. Any ideas here? My thought is to keep it the same.

The installation diagram for the Pat Trap shows the motor and pump mounted on the front of wall of the trap. I am thinking to install on the side wall. The wind can sometimes drive rain in and around the trap house doors and mounting on the side wall will give some extra weather protection. Will this be an issue?

Appreciate any other installation recommendations.

Thanks,

A. Bassan.

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Put the trap as far forward in the house as possible. The base should be built 14" (I think) below the level of pad three so that when the target is in battery, it is level with post three. There is a notch in the angle iron base of the trap, this notch is centered on post three, meaning the trap is offset to the side so you get a straight-a-way from three. Many traphouses are not centered so center the trap with your walks, not the house. Put the motor/pump somewhere sheltered from rain, snow, and target dust. Enjoy!

3. broadway

broadway Member

Thanks 320090T.

It's coming back to me now. When I installed our Super Star about 10 years ago, I used a surveyor's level to find the height of Station 3 and worked from there. I don't think I could get the arm at exactly that level (not enough trap clearance) but at least made it so all traps were about the same.

I guess when the houses were built the guys never had a good level - probably did it by eye.

4. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Pat recommends 4 inches from the inside front wall of the trap house. The base has a mark on it for center. Throwing arm level with post three if possible for the best target presentation. Mount pump and motor on the side wall back from the front of the house to shelter it from the weather. Be sure the machine base is level.

Good luck and good shooting

Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to install a pat trap

pat trap installation