1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pat Trap doubles troubles

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SmittyK80, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmittyK80

SmittyK80 TS Member

Do all of the Pat Traps throw the right hand targets poorly. I have shot off of many Pats, and the RH target always has a curve and cup to the right. I am currently in process of trying to build a new adjustable arm to take this curve/cup out, as I think I can correct this problem. The finger is fine. The machine is set by the book. Any one else have this problem?
    Dwight

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

There are other parts available to help the Pat throw better dubs. Pat makes one, that takes a little alteration. I think Bob Schultz makes one as well. Adjusting to proper speed, height, and right bird height helps. I prefer the Pat arm, which takes a little grinding to be legal.

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

The Schultz finger will give you a much improved target. Try it you will not be disappointed. It is also ATA approved. Jake

4. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Second to the Schultz arm. It will take you about 3 minutes to replace the original and no grinding is needed. Once you get the targets level, lock it in with a locking nut.

Tim

5. porky

porky TS Member

Dwight, If the throwing arm does not have a flat surface, the bird will curl out toward the right. Make sure that you dress the rubber on the throwing arm so it is flat where it comes in contact with the bird and that it rides on the area just above the band on the bird all the way around on the machine.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

A longer finger will bring the pair of doubles closer to each other but the right hand bird will curl on PAT traps as it does from all other machines I have shot over.

Pat Ireland

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

The correct height of the throwing arm in relation to the target and the edge of the throwing rubber will do alot to improve the target presentation. The "Schultz" finger properly adjusted closed the field to the right angles for us and if adjusted to a correct speed (right target) at proper height you can't ask for a better pair of targets. Yes, they will all slightly curl the right bird but it doesn't occur for us until well past the apex. The curl is due to the target spin and the loss of velocity. We get no complaints!

Big Jack

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

...and if they are "curling" when you are shooting at them, you will need to speed up some. Which brings up a couple of other questions

1. Isn't the observatoin of "curl" limited only to when the targets are being set? Sure, it must still be there, but has anyone actually seen it when shooting? I don't think I have. All I see is a flying target and haven't been tracking it's whole trajectory since I was looking at the other bird. It's a bird occupying a spot in the air with a velocity toward somewhere else. That's all I see.

2. Has anyone ever thought they missed a target due to "curl?"

Neil

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Come on Neil, you're trying to make things too simple for us!! LOL. Yes you are correct, but everyone wants to see "the perfect pair" right to the ground.
    Shoot well and often, Bob

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Neil- I have absolutely missed many targets due to the curl. Much of last year I had a real problem with the first target from post one. I actually shot one 96 and the four I missed were that target.

I was looking at the targets of the shooter on post five. The right target was shot second by that shooter and it started to curl. I then set up on where the target curled to instead of where the target came out. I am most likely the only shooter who would make such a dumb mistake. That problem has now been overcome by me and I am awaiting the next unusual thing to appear in my shooting style.

Pat Ireland

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

OK,Pat, I'll correct my post.

"2. Has anyone but Pat Ireland ever thought they missed a target due to "curl?"

Neil

12. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Neil, I think all I see is a target. Not aware of how high, how low, or if it's curling or not. On the other hand.....I have Pat's problem of watching others targets and trying to adjust for that target. Duh!

Shoot em where they are........not where they are supposed to be.

Rickyd

13. vaguru

vaguru Member

I too have seen what is discussed here. I have also seen Singles birds thrown 12 feet left of the left stake and curl back to the stake! Those curls can kill you. Target setter claims it's a legal bird as it landed at the stake.

We also have a problem where the trap throws doubles ocassionally while shooting singles. Then there is the proximity switch problem. When goin to the right, it passes over the switch without triggering said switch, goes to far right and gets stuck in that position. Those right hand birds must be 5 hole. After a manual reset all runs well again, for a while, then over ride again and stuck to the right.

Then there is the hard left bird problem. Shows up every round for 4-5 birds, throwing birds as straight aways from station 5. This is, I understand a 3 hole target, but hey we're set at 2 hole! The right bird does not fly as a straight away from station 1. What gives?

Solved the singles curl problem with a new arm but have not solved, or even figured out how to solve the other Problems. Any help out there?

Our target setter is "making" his own brushes as well, out of cheap paint brushes. Could this compound the problems?

Mr. Ireland, I'll give you a call if that is OK with you, once I find your number again.

Thanks all.

14. setter

setter Member

vaguru,

If you would like, call me and I will help you solve your trap issues.

Jim

(Edit: deleted phone #, PM me if needed. Jim)

15. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I'd check first what Git-ER-Done suggested: Make certain the throwing arm is at the right height off the plate. And dress the rubber, if necessary remove the arm and sand it flat.

16. vaguru

vaguru Member

JIm I'll do that, what would be a good time to call?

guru

17. setter

setter Member

I plan on being home the rest of today and this evening. Else, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., CST.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

vaguru - Where a target lands in relation to the stake has no relevance to the target being legal or illegal. It is the angle that the target leaves the house that is important.

Pat Ireland

19. vaguru

vaguru Member

Pat - I'm aware of that, but the club setter isn't. I'm trying to figure all of this out.

Jim - Didn't get back on line till late, will have to call you after I find out what model we have, SW or GW. Will take a couple of days.

Thanks

20. setter

setter Member

That's fine. Most likely your machine has the old style target roller plates and they need a little maintenance. The serial number is located on the front right edge of the top plate as you face the machine. It will start with either SW or G. Some early G's (came out in May of 2001) may also have the "old style" roller plates. When we go thru this it will take care of the dropping doubles when in singles mode.

On the proximity switch, when facing the machine, the proximity switch on the right needs to be replaced. This is another clue that the machine is SW or early G as the newer term would be limit swith and it would be on the oscillation cylinder.

Also recommend getting a manual, either SW or G depending on your machines. They're $8, I think. By the way the SW's are very servicable.

In addition, at the rear of the machine inside the grey box, the device on the right is the interrupter. Lift it up look on the backside, there's a wheel with a notch or notches, if there's only one switch there you may want to replace it( although not necessary) with a new one that has 2 switches.

Lastly, you need to reset the "field" for the machine.
    I'm going to post what's here & go find a previous thread that covered this topic.

Here's the thread up above. All of this will come together as we discuss it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.